Search Unity

What is it to you

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by N1warhead, Mar 11, 2016.

1. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

I wasn't shouting, it's just that the forum's censoring format F*** and S*** to uppercase. Maybe the tone would have changed, but not really the volume. It's not like I was trying to equate zen to Donald Trum... oh god, I'm so sorry.

Is this a canned response? I feel like you've replied with this a dozen times, and about eight uses ago you stopped trying to make it fit into the context of the conversation. Please never use it again since the point is to shut down discussion by saying I am incapable of understanding these antique masterpieces of time-wasting and that it's a free country, so I should go off to play whatever crap I like. All you are doing is making an ad hominem attack on a straw man, and adding nothing to the conversation other than attempting to turn it into a circle jerk.

The biggest thing I care about is design. If I criticize anything, chances are it's because of how it affects design.

hippocoder likes this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, I agree and the trend isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just look over these three very popular dungeon crawler games that came out at various points. We have NetHack for the first video, the second one is Brogue (Brian's Rogue), and the third is an early alpha that will be hitting Steam called Cogmind.

One of the trends happening with roguelikes has been the continual shift away from purely ASCII-style graphics, overly complex mechanics, and special controls for practically every situation. Yet all three games remain enjoyable to play.

3. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Different views. Whenever one of these discussions is taking place and a person drops in guns blazing it seems to me like that is adding nothing to the conversation. Yelling and insulting people and in general using such an acidic tone in posts doesn't get any point across. Other than causing most folks to think that person is filled with anger all of the time for no real reason.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  4. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

That last one looks like an improvement for sure in making the game world presentation seem less busy. If they have improved the controls too that is another big win. Just checked out the game page and it does sound like an interesting game!

I haven't played one of these types of games in a long time. Decades I think. Often thought of checking out Dwarf Fortress but never have yet. One of these days I will.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you do you may almost want to check out an older release rather than the current one. Every major release has brought more and more complexity to the game to the point that it's getting a bit insane. Hopefully one of these days Toady will finally get around to updating the control scheme. A lack of mouse support is a real nuisance.

GarBenjamin likes this.