Search Unity

What is it compiled into?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by frangagn, Sep 24, 2020.

1. frangagn

frangagn

I have created a project using the Windows XR Plugin and XR Plugin management. I am NOT using the XR interaction toolkit, I have created my own tools, including my own XRRig using the Tracked Pose Driver.

My project is NOT built with UWP since I need file access that UWP does not provide or is too tricky to provide (after much attempts and work with senior developer here, I just gave up). So I'm using standard Unity and my build settings are "PC,MAC,Linux stand alone". My Player settings in the XR Plug-in management are "Windows Mixed Reality".

Now, once the build is built, I obviously don't see it within Steam, but it also does not appear in the Mixed Reality list of applications. I have to start it manually by clicking on the icon on the desktop. wtf...

I know for applications to appear they must be UWP, but then if this build is neighter UWP nor Steam, what is it then? How do I add it (or sideload it) to the Mixed Reality applications that the Windows menu brings up within the cliffhouse for e.g.?

2. frangagn

frangagn

Well if nobody answers, maybe it's a stupid question... but it would really help if at least someone could tell me where I read look about this then...

3. arfish

arfish

Perhaps this is what you are looking for?
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/WindowsStandaloneBinaries.html

"...When you build a Unity project to the Windows standalone platform Unity produces the following files (where ‘ProjectName’ is the name of your project):

ProjectName.exe - The project executable. This contains the program entry point which calls into the Unity engine when launched...."

Have you checked the folder where you told Unity to save the .exe file?

4. frangagn

frangagn

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's not quite what I'm looking for. My application is using WPF libraries (for enumerating files, amongst other things). I selected "Windows Stand Alone" and it build an exe and runs very well.

However what I'm reading everywhere is that for an application to be running in Mixed Reality, it has to be UWP, which my application is not. So why is it running without a flaw anyways, and is there any way I can add it to the Mixed Reality software that I see when I press the windows key when I'm within the Mixed Reality Portal?

Sorry if this is confusing, I'm puzzled myself!

5. arfish

arfish