Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What is important in a game engine?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oruji, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Oruji

Oruji

Hi,
    I'm developing a game engine for my thesis and I would like to hear what you think is important in a game engine.
    If you have a minute, I would really appreciate if you filled out the questionnaire at: link
    Thanks!

2. henry96

henry96

Done! Good Luck! :)

3. khanstruct

khanstruct

A: This person will likely never come back here, and we'll probably find this exact same post, pasted on every other game engine forum.
    B: This has nothing to do with Unity and is basically just spam.
    C: The "important" elements of a game engine are all the pieces that take a team of people years to develop.

4. wccrawford

wccrawford

Yeah, drive-by surveys by people with 1 post are probably not worth your time. They aren't going to contribute anything back to the community.

5. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

These sort of questions or surveys might not help the direct development of this community, but it is always good to share opinions and it is questions like these that remind me of why Unity is the ideal tool to develop games.

What I think is important for people to think about when deciding which software to use, is that the experience or journey whilst developing your game.

Should the process be fun? Hell Yes!!

The chances of any game we make actually getting completed is a huge task and most won't ever get finished. We have an idea of the perfect game and we think and think about it for days and nights, filled with excitement we start our journey in making this masterpiece but if this process becomes painful and takes too much time to develop then there's a good chance we will start to hate this masterpiece or just get sick of it "bored" or whatever and turn our back on it. = Project failed!