Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What is "Graphics Jobs (Experimental)?"

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by MrEsquire, Mar 23, 2016.

1. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I noticed a new tick box under other settings, rendering.
    As the title says, any information what this is about?
    Thanks

2. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Currently graphics jobs are only enabled on PC (Win/Mac/Linux) and console (PS4, XB1) build targets. What exactly kinds of jobs they do depends on the graphics API used:
    • DX12 is the only one right now that has "fully native" job support; that is the job threads directly create DX12 command buffers. PS4 and Metal should follow soon, but not quite ready yet. OpenGL will not, since it can't.
    • All other APIs (no matter which ones, so up from DX9 even) create "our own" command buffers from the job threads, with one "rendering thread" that actually executes the calls into the graphics API. So that thread pretty much stays the same as the render thread that was always there in Unity; the only difference is that rendering logic that was happening on the main thread before is now multi-threaded.

3. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

so, no special jobs for the GearVR ?

4. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

No, not at the moment, but that might change when the new Android graphics API is ready.

5. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

New API?! Is it Vulkan?! :D

ModLunar likes this.
  6. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Don't get too excited. We have not announced anything to do with Vulkan support at this time.

7. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

lol, I was kidding, since I didn't know what the guy above my post was talking about. :p
    Point being though, I definitely look forward to updates in that department, I definitely understand that atm, vulkan's not actually mature yet.

Anyway, back on topic...

Jonny-Roy likes this.
  8. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

So will enabling that on an android project gain a couple of fps?

9. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

From what I gather, not at the moment, as it's PC/Console only. I'd imagine though that in the future, having a separate graphics job thread will boost performance on capable phones. (Most are thankfully multi-threaded in some way...)
    As for what it actually does... Jonny Roy's post pretty much cleared it up. :D

10. Meltdown

Meltdown

How is that different from the 'multi-threaded rendering' option then?

FluxsideStudios and MrEsquire like this.
  11. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Whats the latest progress with this as still marked experimental, can we have some more information from the Unity Devs?