Search Unity

what is Development build ?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by xxl2005, Aug 4, 2010.

1. xxl2005

xxl2005

Hi

what is Development build ?
    what happend if i enable it ?
    when do i need it ?

thanks

Attached Files:

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Um, I'm not sure if this is completely correct, but a development build usually includes various `debugging` features built into the executable application, so that if something strange happens like in your scripts, you do something sort of illegal or something that is basically a bug, then instead of making a nasty crash it should exit and tell you some kind of message as to what the problem was. .... but it does make the application slower, and bigger. So when you come to making your final distributable application you should make sure it is NOT the development build.

I say this having never tried Unity's development build so I don't know exactly what it'll do.

3. xxl2005

xxl2005

thanks , your post is very useful for me !

Siliko likes this.
  4. SmilingRob

SmilingRob

It sets Debug.isDebugBuild to true.
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/Debug-isDebugBuild.html

So you can check Debug.isDebugBuild first, and then log things if it's set. If all your logs are like this, then you can easily turn on logging by setting the Development Build check. Or deploy a "release" version that doesn't fill the user's computer with logs.

Or maybe you could check Debug.isDebugBuild and draw outlines on invisible barriers so your testers can test state transitions, but the players wouldn't have to see the ugly outlines.

5. NoseKills

NoseKills

Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems a debug build doesn't throw you out of the game when an uncaught exception is thrown.

Using the "debug build" we were able to make the app log the stacktraces of exceptions in PlayerPrefs. Without "Debug Build" the app would exit before anything could be logged anywhere.

6. Bluestrike

Bluestrike

7. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Could you explain how you did this? A code snippet would be super useful. Thank you

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

9. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Thanks @Alexees I did work it out in the end :)
    For anyone else interested, I also found how to do this kind of debugging over wifi (for GearVR/OculusGo builds) using ADB/LogCat:

10. ElmisteriosoYtz

ElmisteriosoYtz

XD, XD is for be a DEBUGGING AND A DEVELOMENT

11. kaancetinkayasf

kaancetinkayasf

I think no one should use dev build at all, I see weird bugs in dev build that does not exist in the release version