Search Unity

Question What is "Controller.SendData" and why is it allocating so much garbage?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JoeStrout, Oct 26, 2022.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I'm trying to track down a periodic dramatic hitch in our framerate. I caught an instance of it while deep profiling, and the culprit seems to be Controller.SendData():

upload_2022-10-26_9-23-50.png

...or, possibly, it's garbage collection, but Controller.SendData seems largely responsible for that too.

But we don't have any such class in our code. Nor can I find anything about it in the Unity reference, though maybe it's an internal class. It's even possible that it's part of the profiler connection, and I'm chasing a red herring. Anybody know what this is, or a way to find out?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Found it! It's part of Mixpanel. Looks like Mixpanel is allocating many MB of garbage whenever it kicks in.

3. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Is that part of Unity? Or did you install that?

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It's installed via the PackageManager.

5. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Let me rephrase my question.

Is Mixpanel a core part of Unity that I would likely install by default in a new project?

Or is it a specific package that you said "I want Mixpanel!" and included it via PM?

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It's not a core part of Unity, and it's not something I would choose (probably ever). This is a team project, and somebody else installed it at the behest of the director.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.