Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

What is 'collab cache'?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by icreate, Aug 5, 2016.

1. icreate

icreate

I have two options for caching:
    Collab cache
    Cache server

They seem to be independent of each other and different server settings.
    Cache server is working great, but I can not find any documentation on what is collab cache is for and how to set it up.

2. ChrisLundquist

ChrisLundquist

Unity Technologies

Great question!

Collab Cache is a local proxy to speed things up. The hope is that large teams could use it and keep most traffic inside the local network, rather than bogging down the internet connection downloading 5+ copies of the same assets. At a high level, it keeps a copy of the assets on what we'd expect to be a computer/server inside your local network. This makes downloading things way faster, as your network is probably 300mbps+ wifi or gigabit ethernet. The config box is to point the editor at that server's dns name or ip address.

When there is an IP or hostname in that box, the editor will first try to download the asset from collab cache, and if that fails or times out, it will take the normal download route to the service.

I don't believe we've released it quite yet, so likewise the docs aren't there.
    We needed the editor side to be there, so that we could release it later.

So, if you *are* working with a team of 5+ people in the same office with collab, this could speed things up for you. If it is just you, or everyone is in different offices, it won't help.

If this feature *does* interest you, @andyk-unity can probably take your details for when we start rolling it out.

If you're into the nitty gritty details, we use this approach for multi-regionality. We have a read/write-through cache in each region, as edge caching makes it faster when people are far away from the home region of California.
    We've been working on making this solid, then hope to turn it into an "on premise" thing as described above.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions I can answer,
    Chris Lundquist

icreate likes this.
unityunity