Search Unity

What is Build->GPU Skinning?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by MrEsquire, Aug 22, 2014.

1. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Hi,

I cannot seem to find anything in the manuals about this and tried google searching.
    Can a Unity developer or someone explain what this check box does?

Thank you.

2. Dantus

Dantus

The computation for skinned meshes usually takes place on the CPU, but with that flag, it can be performed on the GPU.

3. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

How would you know when to enable the flag?
    Of course I'm creating project for multiple mobile devices, iOS and Android.
    Any tips would be most useful to get better understanding.

4. iEpic

iEpic

yea would like more info also

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I still do not get when to use this feature, also many new features in Unity 5 beta that one does not full understand when it comes to build options?

6. Dantus

Dantus

I assume you are looking for something like a golden rule?
    There are often no such rules unfortunately. The best bet is often to just give it a try.
    If you e.g. have a look at static batching, there is also no golden rule. On low end devices, you may waste a lot of memory with static batching and get in trouble because of it. On the other hand, it may lead to better performance on the average devices.

MrEsquire likes this.
  7. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

zz_unity and lclemens like this.
  8. x1alphaz1

x1alphaz1

Enable/Disable GPU Skinning
    The first tip involves a setting that eases the burden on the CPU or GPU Front End at the expense of the other, that is, GPU Skinning. Skinning is the process where mesh vertices are transformed based on the current location of their animated bones. The animation system, working on the CPU, transforms the object's bones that are used to determine its current pose, but the next important step in the animation process is wrapping the mesh vertices around those bones to place the mesh in the final pose. This is achieved by iterating over each vertex and performing a weighted average against the bones connected to those vertices.

This vertex processing task can either take place on the CPU or within the Front End

Reference: https://www.oreilly.com/library/vie...65/72825877-e94a-4645-8ece-ef69cc9f8254.xhtml

9. daythatidie88

daythatidie88

Thank you !