Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What is best for Unity Ryzen 3600 or 2700

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaReign, Sep 9, 2020.

1. DaReign

DaReign

I've searched forum and most answers is that more cores is best option. But is Unity really can handle 16 threads all the time during for example compiling or light baking or it use them in peak and better will be CPU with less cores but higher frequency. Second question it is worth to invest on RTX or as I think GTX 1660 will be enough. I'm not proffesional game developer and I'm creating virtual reality apps for phones so most important me is to shorten time of compiling and eventually light baking. I don't create AAA games for desktop ;).

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Some tasks will see increased performance from higher core counts. Some tasks will see increased performance from faster cores. That said you will typically spend the majority of your time with tasks that benefit from faster cores. Ideally you would want to purchase a processor that has both but if you can't then the 3600 is the one to go with here.

For light baking I highly recommend checking out the following third party asset. It's considered to be superior to the light baker provided by Unity thanks to being implemented in a way that doesn't require you to have tons of GPU RAM.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/level-design/bakery-gpu-lightmapper-122218

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

For a typical compile, faster single core performance is better from what I've seen. For CPU based light baking, more cores is better. RTX isn't specifically needed unless you were going to test ray tracing. Though if you're going to do GPU light baking you'll probably want the fastest GPU your budget can justify.

4. Ukounu

Ukounu

I have 1660 Ti right now and it is definitely not enough for comfortable work, if you can afford something better. When I have Unity editor, Blender and Photoshop running at the same time and hit "play" button in Unity, FPS drops to 20-30. Because 1660 Ti just doesn't have enough bandwidth to output all the data. I have to close Photoshop to get back to 60 FPS in Unity editor.