Search Unity

What is a Unity voucher?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Warrior155, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Warrior155

Warrior155

Hi guys! I am new to using the Unity asset store. I do not have a credit card or a paypal account. I just want to ask what a Unity voucher is. Since I cannot have a credit card or a paypal account due to my state now, I want to know what a voucher is. Can anybody tell me what a voucher is? How do you pay by using the voucher? Is it a non online form of payment? If so, how can The Unity team get my money? I just want to know a different way of paying other than using a credit car or a paypal account. I red the official Unity website about the voucher, but they didn't give a solid detail of knowing how do they get my money by using the voucher. Please help!

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Simply put it's a gift code that tells the store to add an asset to your account for free. I'm going to assume you got the code through the Humble Unity Bundle and just provide a link to their tutorial for using the vouchers (if you didn't buy it through them that's fine the tutorial will still be valid).

https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008549494

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

As already mentioned it is basically a gift code, similar to getting a code for a game on Steam, but as far as I'm aware they aren't actually available as an alternative form of payment outside of some promotions put on by Unity themselves. Otherwise they are actually fairly rare because last I checked my publisher account I'm limited to creating around 10 of them per year, and if I remember correctly you're not allowed to give them out for money as that would cut Unity out of the payment process (and thus their percentage they charge). At 10 a year they aren't even practical to be used as a means of getting around the Unity payment system anyways even if the publisher ignored the rules.

A real world example of why I have actually given one out is I have an $80 model pack and some less expensive sub packs on the store, and I was contacted by someone of limited development budget asking if I could create him a new sub pack with a different set of models from the larger pack. I declined due to the hassle, and sent him a voucher for the large pack for free.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

A heads up due to an increased amount of voucher / swap / sell posts:

I don't want to see any more swap or trade threads. I'm not allowing them because its dumb and a waste of the forum. If anyone has one to trade then do so outside of the unity forums, it is not what we are here for.