Search Unity

What impacts final build size.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by pod11, Mar 2, 2019.

1. pod11

pod11

When im making final build, are all assets avaible in unity editor put into the build increasing its size?

Or just those which are actually used?

And second question related to that: is size of unity/libriary/Metadata Folder( catalog) increasing size of final build?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

pod11 likes this.
  3. pod11

pod11

Thanks, i noticed today rate at which Metadata folder grew in my simple space shooter,after i added some assets and it concerned me.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm going to assume you're referring to the Metadata folder in the Library folder. The Library folder is just a local cache for Unity. When you create or import an asset (or delete the folder for that matter) Unity has to process the file before it can be used. Processed copies go into the Library folder and the original stays in the Asset folder.

Essentially it makes hitting the Play button (or building the project) a wait measured in seconds rather than one measured in minutes or hours (one of the projects I'm working on takes about 30 minutes to completely regenerate the Library folder but is playable within 5 to 10 seconds).

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/BehindtheScenes.html

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019