Search Unity

What If: Pokémon RPG for Nintendo 64 (just some mockups)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Rodolfo-Rubens, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

So, I heard GameFreak was thinking about release a Pokémon game for Nintendo 64 circa 1998~99, but they dropped the project for unknown reasons. So almost 20 years later I decided to make some mockups of how the game could have been.

I also needed to regain my motivation on making games since the Pokémon franchise was what make me get started on the gamedev world.

A cover

To be honest I don't even know if the Nintendo 64 hardware was going to be able to handle some of these mockups (in realtime) so I cranked down all the polygon count of all models that I could. This is the Pokémon Center.

The Route 12, leaving Lavender Town.

A random battle and my fav Pokémon.

That little boy who talks nonsense out of nowhere in Route 3.

The most epic and exciting moment in the whole game in my opinion, the encounter with Mewtwo in the Unknown Cave.

The first hardest decision of our lives!

Route 20 heading to Cinnabar.

The PC, according to some Ken Sugimori sketches.

The Pokémon Tower, I made some changes to it.

Playing around with the menus in the Route 2 next to Pewter.

Route 10 heading to Lavender Town.

The Route 17! This one was also kinda rethinked, I didn't know if the level designers intention was to really make a bridge or they only made this for the anime series.

The Safari Zone and the very well hidden GOLD TEETH.

I hope you guys have liked, I did these just for fun.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    PVisser, Lun0s, Peter77 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Pre-ordered!

3. JVGameDev

JVGameDev

I would literally, no joke, pay $80 for this. F*** Call of Duty, this is what the world needs.

4. GrXnt

GrXnt

Oh, man. I saw a few images of this project on Twitter, hoping that it was real. As sad as I was to come across this page and find out that it doesn't exist, I have to say this is quite the impressive mockup. Here's to hoping that someone eventually considers making a fan game of this cancelled N64 project someday.

EnigmaFactory likes this.
  5. fitboyawesome

fitboyawesome

It's always interesting to speculate on what could have been with cancelled game projects, especially for a beloved franchise (collectorpricing.org) like Pokémon. It's great to see someone taking their passion for game development and applying it to creating their own ideas for what could have been. Who knows, maybe this will inspire GameFreak or other developers to revisit the idea of a Pokémon game for Nintendo 64 in the future. Best of luck with your game development endeavors!

Last edited: May 14, 2023