Search Unity

What if I wanted to make a YUGIOH Game???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EETechnology, Aug 24, 2016.

1. EETechnology

EETechnology

Hello!

I have a solid experience with Unity and I am not at a point, where I am thinking of creating very potential projects! One game i had in mind is a recreation of YuGiOh BAM! that was on Facebook till 2014!
    I played that game myself and it was amazing game. I heard that they closed it because it had a lot of hackers and devs were tired so since they had made a lot of money, they decided to close it!

But, i know a lot of people who would like to bring the game back, and TO PUT MORE features and remove the bad features!

For this, i know that I need Konami permission so i talked to them, but they didnt give me the needed permission!

So, what now, does this mean nobody can create games that are related to YuGiOh?

2. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Devpro is a Yu Gi Oh game I used to play a lot, and I don't know if they were endorsed by Konami. They also didn't sell it, so I don't know if that was a factor. Not to mention it was way better than any of the games Konami themselves made for Yu Gi Oh.

But if they told you no, I think that answers your question.

3. EETechnology

EETechnology

Have a look at their message : "Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, as the Yu-Gi-Oh! brand is a licensed property, we cannot legally authorize the use of Yu-Gi-Oh!. Please note that the unauthorized use of such property may leave you open to legal action."

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

YuGiOh is a popular IP. A properly authorised game will make millions just on the name alone.

Konami understand that value. They also understand that having poor games made will devalue the IP. Which is why they won't let a no name use it. But just because you can't use it doesn't mean they won't let a more established dev use the lisence.

Gekigengar likes this.
  5. N1warhead

N1warhead

@EETechnology : That answers it. What more do you need to know?

In lamens terms: 'If you make a Yu-Gi-Oh! game. We will sieze all your assets, sue you and make sure you can never do this again"

6. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Are you sure they understand this value? Every digital Yu GI Oh game made by Konami I've ever seen has been horrible, ha ha ha

7. EETechnology

EETechnology

I want to know, why and how, lets say, other games like Dueling Network, Pokemon GO(Nintendo had the license), got made!

8. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Well yeah...............

Pretty much saying that if you do it, you could be sued by the owners of Yu GI Oh

Though, technically, that also is saying that Konami aren't the people to ask. They are saying they licence the property from someone else. You should probably contact the people who actuually own Yu Gi Oh if you want permission

The manga and anime came before the card game, so the people who made the manga/anime are the ones who own the IP probably

9. neginfinity

neginfinity

Yes, that's correct.

Nobody can legally create YuGiOh games unless they're given permission by owner of the title/brand/IP.

Actual card game seems to be owned by Konami. Manga and characters may be owned by someone else.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_Trading_Card_Game
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!

Speaking of which, it is one of the situation where you need lawyer's advice. But most likely answer is "you cannot make the game without a permission".

10. Acissathar

Acissathar

Nintendo owns the IP to Pokemon, and they licensed it out to NIantic. Dueling Network is by all counts infringement and was taken down last month due to legal action.

You are not physically stopped from making the games. That is why so many fan games exist. You're able to make it, but whether it stays around or not is up to the owners of the IP. It could be very punishing for you if you disregard it.

11. EETechnology

EETechnology

Hmmm, didnt know that, but yeah, i guess i now got the answer of my question! Thanks!