Search Unity

Feedback What if I delete the texture file in my directory?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by unity_tlv1IB9XIAbbtw, Sep 8, 2021.

1. unity_tlv1IB9XIAbbtw

unity_tlv1IB9XIAbbtw

I just use Unity recently and I found a very cool website call CC0 textures.com and It provides many textures. However when I download it and drag it to my unity editor panel, the textures taking my computer space. The question I'm having is: "Can I delete the texture in my directory?" because I have already drag into my unity editor.

2. Mauri

Mauri

You can delete anything that you have imported into your Project at any time. It will turn up in your computer's Recycle bin.

Textures take disk space - just like everything. It's an inevitable thing.

3. bgolus

bgolus

If by "directory" you mean the project's asset folder, no. If you delete the texture file in the asset folder it will remove the asset from the project.

The original source image files have to remain in case it needs to reimport the texture, which can happen if you change the project's current platform, change the color space, or change the import settings for a texture.

Otherwise if you mean another folder not under the project's asset folder, yes. You can delete those files as dragging it into the Unity editor in from another folder makes a copy of that file in the asset folder.

unity_tlv1IB9XIAbbtw likes this.
  4. unity_tlv1IB9XIAbbtw

unity_tlv1IB9XIAbbtw

Thank for your response!