Search Unity

What Hardware for Unity on a videowall built out of 24 HD Displays

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by thomas-jung, Sep 25, 2018.

1. thomas-jung

thomas-jung

Hi there,

hope this is the right forum for this kind of questions. We build up a videowall which will consist out if 24 display, aligned in 6 rows and 4 columns (yes, "portrait" layout, not landscape).

We can access the displays in six quardants, whereas each quadrant will offer a resolution of ~4k (3840 x 2160). We want to show a unity player application on the full resolution if possible.

I think of this option: Take one computer, insert two graphics cards with 4 dp output each and let each card serve 3 vertically neighboured quadrants. Configure Windows so that it uses "Extended Desktop" on the 6 (2x3) 4k-displays.

1. Will that work?

I would use the multi display support in unity and render the 6 images with 6 separate cameras.

Alternatively i could also use a SLI sync card and let the two cards appear as one in windows. Would that be able to serve the given display configuration?

2. Right?

In that case unity would not know about multiple display, just render with one camera.

3. What graphics cards are able to bring good frame rates at a resolution of 3840 x 6480 (~24 MP)? I was suggested an NVidia Quadro P4000. Is that a good choice or should i use a GeForce?

upload_2018-9-25_12-52-29.png