Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What happens when opting out of data collection?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by helgrind21, Jun 25, 2021.

1. helgrind21

helgrind21

Hello,

I just started using unity analytics. While reading the documentation, I've realized that I have to give players an option to opt-out from data collection either through the Data Privacy button that comes with the Analytics package or use my own UI solution. What is still not clear to me is if the button or UI solution should be presented to the player every time they open the game or it could be a one time thing such as accepting the terms of service. Also, what happens if the player opt-out from data collection? Will Unity automatically stop sending analytics events from that specific player or will it just filter their personal data (e.g. location, IP address) but keep other events information such as "level_start", "tutorial_complete".

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

It should stop sending all events (is my understanding). But I would highly encourage you to test as the behavior has been changing between Unity versions. You will want to use Charles Proxy to confirm what is being sent. Add the charlesproxy.unitypackage to your project https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002917683-Using-Charles-Proxy-with-Unity

3. helgrind21

helgrind21

Thank you for the advice. The application "Charles Proxy" really showed the events being sent. I opted out from data collection to see if events would still be sent and they did. Do this means that I will have to block event sending myself?
    I will have to wait a little more to see if the event data sent are going to appear on my dashboard or on raw data export.

Now that I've opted out, is there a way to "opt in" again? I would like to do more tests in the future :).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

No there isn't. It's the content of the data that is important, not that there is network activity. Also, just because a client sends data, we don't store it at our end. It's the storage of sensitive data that is the issue.

5. helgrind21

helgrind21

Oh I see, it is just the sensitive data that is not stored. Everything else is normally sent, am I correct? I'm asking this because I sent events after making the opt-out. Now, I've downloaded the events information using the raw data export and I can confirm that everything I've sent is there. The nuance is that I've never sent sensitive data, so that's why I don't see anything missing.

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You want to inspect the Charles Proxy capture request and response, feel free to send it to me in a private message. It needs to be unencrypted, did you add the charlesproxy.unitypackage to your project?

7. helgrind21

helgrind21

I didnt add charlesproxy.unitypackage to my project (I just saw the file on the end of the support page when you mentioned it. I'm not sure what to do with it). But I was still able to capture the events being sent.

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I looked at your capture, all looks correct.

helgrind21 likes this.
  9. helgrind21

helgrind21

Thank you! Last question, do I have to offer the opt out option every time the player opens the game? or, can I just present it once, like the terms of use?

10. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I believe just once per game title.

helgrind21 likes this.
  11. helgrind21

helgrind21

Perfect! Thank you!