Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

What happens to our project once Unity Teams Basic ends?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by BoggyTheAmazing, Dec 7, 2017.

1. BoggyTheAmazing

BoggyTheAmazing

I've heard about the fact that Unity Teams is ending for free users on 9. Jan 2018, and currently I'm working on a project that'll take about a week longer than that deadline to finish. Once the trial runs out, will none of us have access to Collaborate & Cloud Build? Will the build still be available for work on the disk, individually? Finally, will there be a different free version of Unity Teams in the future, or will it just become a permanently premium service?

2. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi -

Thanks for your question. A few clarifications:

1) Currently, all of Unity Teams features including Collaborate and Cloud Build are free for all users until Jan 9, 2018.

2) Unity Teams Basic will not end on Jan 9, 2018. All Unity Personal organizations have Unity Teams Basic and will continue to have Unity Teams Basic after Jan 9. At a high level, Unity Teams Basic allows you to collaborate with 3 team members and gives you 1GB of storage. But it does not give you the ability to create automated builds in the cloud.

3) By Jan 9, you need to configure who in your organization has access to Unity Teams Basic by going to https://id.unity.com , selecting your organization, selecting "Subscriptions & Services" and then clicking "Manage Seats" on your Unity Teams Basic subscription. After Jan 9, you'll only be able to collaborate with those members that you've assigned Unity Teams Basic seats. Note, if you don't do this, you'll still be able to access and work on your project locally.

If you need to collaborate with more than 3 members of your team or you want to create builds in the cloud, you can also sign-up for Unity Teams Advanced. Unity Teams Advanced comes with a 30-day free trial as well.

The features for both Unity Teams Basic and Unity Teams Advanced are outlined here: https://unity3d.com/teams

Let us know if you have additional questions.

John

Teila likes this.
  3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

What happens to project bigger than 1gb

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @laurentlavigne! If your project is already bigger than 1GB by Jan9 then the only thing that will stop working is the ability to push new changes. You'll still be able to download it from the Cloud, push changes if you're only deleting assets and work in your project.

If your project is smaller than that but then you're going to make a publish that will put you over your limit, then your publish will fail with a warning about needing to increase your cloud storage. Be sure to update to the latest versions of 2017.1 and 2017.2. Otherwise, you may only get the warning about hitting your cloud storage after Collab has already tried to publish your changes instead of before.

Rest assured that none of your work will be deleted. Once you increase your cloud storage then you'll be able to continue pushing changes as normal. Let us know if you have anymore questions.

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Where in the unity editor do we get the project size?

6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

It's not visible in the Unity Editor. From the Services Window, click on Go to Dashboard at the top right of the window. From the Developer Dashboard view of your project, on the left side of the window click on Settings, than Usage. That will show you the amount of data your project is using, the total cloud usage your Org is using, how much you have available, and which projects are using the most space.

7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

We need project size from within unity. Tuck it inside the collab window.

8. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for the feature request! Because Collab used to share cloud storage with Cloud Build we felt that it made sense to give the option to view overall storage in a location that's separate from any one service. Hence why we placed it on the Developer Dashboard where it can be viewed regardless of which service you're using. In the future, other services may have their cloud usage reported in the same area.

9. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

hang on, are you saying that the project size is the total of all the commits?

10. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

No, no sorry for the confusion. It's based on the size of the HEAD of your repo, so your total project's size.

11. AsaBattle

AsaBattle

Does a purchase of Unity Plus increase the 1gb collaboration project limit? Does it increase the maximum people allow on a collab project any higher than 3?

12. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi --- apologies for the delay.

With a purchase of Unity Plus before the end of the promotion (Jan 31, 2018), you'll get 25GB of collab storage, be able to create builds in the cloud, and be able to collaborate with 3 members. To collaborate with more than 3, you'll have to purchase more Unity Teams Advanced seats.

13. forcepusher

forcepusher

It makes sense that automated builds shouldn't be available for basic users.
    But could we still manually hit the "Build" button on cloud build without the advanced subscription?

14. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Yes @shame, you'll still be able to manually trigger cloud builds.

forcepusher likes this.
  15. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hey @shame, I'm really sorry but I'm afraid I gave wrong information earlier. You will not be able to trigger cloud builds manually unless you purchase a Unity Teams Advanced subscription.

However, you will be able to upload locally built projects onto Cloud Build for other users to access for testing with just Unity Teams Free. I'm sorry again for the confusion.

Drakorez likes this.
  16. forcepusher

forcepusher

Well, sorry to hear that. Thanks for clarifying.
    I don't think this is a great marketing decision because Cloud Build is not stable enough yet. Sometimes you get an unlucky streak, so 2 out of 3 builds are failing for random unrelated reasons in medium or big sized projects.
    It makes contractors/employees look bad from project manager's point of view. They get "BUILD FAILED" screaming emails and those are permanently reflected in "build health" stats circle.

I think Cloud Build needs more testing before pulling the rug.
    Here's a link with people really upset about it: Reddit Link

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  17. AsaBattle

AsaBattle

Great, thank you. How about Unity Pro? How much collab space and project seats do you get with it?

18. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @AsaBattle! For a limited time, a Unity Teams Advanced subscription is included for free with the purchase (or previous ownership) of a Unity Plus or Pro license. You can check out more info here.

19. TubeSoq

TubeSoq

@ryanc-unity Me and my buddy are wondering if both of us have to pay for Advanced. We do not have Unity Plus or Pro.

20. flashframe

flashframe

We have a couple of additional questions, and seemed like this was the best place to ask.

1. If we upgrade and pay for the the Teams Advanced subscription, can we expect new fixes and features to be back-ported to older version of Unity? My guess is no, but I'm sure we are in the same boat as many other devs who have had to lock off their Unity version to ship a project.

2. There is an option in the dashboard to buy an extra 25gb storage for $5 per month. Does this mean we could remain on the Basic tier and just get the extra storage? Is there any other difference apart from Automatic Builds? (we are a way off from using that functionality).

Thanks!

21. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Gotcha, where is this number located? I have looked in the web dashboard and don't see it, which means it needs to be moved to the top of the page right of the project title.

22. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @TubeSoq --- if you and your friend are going to be working together, you both don't need to purchase Unity Teams Advanced. You can both be members of the same organization and use the same Unity Teams Advanced subscription (note: you'll both need to members of the same organization in order to use the same Unity Teams Advanced subscription).

You can manage the members of your organization here: https://id.unity.com

You can find more details on the features of Unity Teams Advanced here: https://unity3d.com/teams

23. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @laurentlavigne --- You can currently see your project and organization's current cloud storage usage by going to the developer dashboard (https://developer.cloud.unity3d.com), selecting your project, then selecting 'Settings' in the left navigation, then selecting 'Usage'

24. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

That's 4 clicks too many, on purpose?

25. flashframe

flashframe

@johng_unity Any response to my questions above? Thanks :)

26. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @flashframe

Sorry for the delay. To answer your questions:

1) As much as possible, we will backport important Collaborate fixes to versions of Unity that are still supported by Unity and that are out-of-beta for Collaborate (note: Collaborate came out of beta in 2017.1). Currently, we are backporting most fixes to 2017.1, 2017.2 and 2017.3. We will not be backporting new Collaborate features to previous versions of Unity.

2) Yes, you can remain on Unity Basic and just buy 25gb extra storage for $5 per month. As you noted above, with this option, you won't be able to build in the cloud and you'll only have access to the last 90 days of your version history. To see more details on the difference in features between Basic and Advanced, you can go here: https://unity3d.com/teams

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  27. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @laurentlavigne --- we will look to improve this and make this number more visible in the developer dashboard. Thank you for feedback on this.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  28. flashframe

flashframe

Thanks for the response @johng_unity

That helps us make our decision.

29. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Any chance that this opacity problem is fixed before the 9th?

30. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @laurentlavigne -- we likely won't have this improvement in place by Jan 9th. I'll respond to this thread when I have a better sense of when we'll be able to improve this.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  31. r_Skiz

r_Skiz

@johng_unity Does only the person who created the project need to upgrade to 25gb storage?

32. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@r_Skiz --- The organization owner is the only one that needs to buy the 25GB storage pack or upgrade to Unity Teams Advanced (which comes with 25GB). The organization will then have 25GB to use for Collaborate across all projects in the organization. Let me know if you have additional questions.

33. aili_arakida

aili_arakida

Hi I purchased Unity Teams Advanced (I am working with a team of 4) but since it automatically makes me to the free trial before renewing the subscription, only three of my members have access! I don't mind paying the 7 dollars extra now, but how do I do it? It doesn't seem logical to wait a month after purchasing to increase my team size...
    Thanks so much in advance for the info!

34. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

At https://id.unity.com, select your organization, then select Subscriptions & Services, then your Unity Teams Advanced Free Trial. From there, select "Add More Seats" and increase the number of seats. That should immediately change the number of seats you have. The additional seats are free during the free trial but $7/seat after the free trial ends.