Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to the Unity Tutorials?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alexisrabadan, May 14, 2021.

1. alexisrabadan

alexisrabadan

When I learned how to use Unity 8 years ago, it was the most pleasant learning experience of my entire life. I had no prior game development knowledge, only programming experience. You opened up the Unity Tutorials page and there was a nice grid layout of tutorial areas you could go to.

Do you want to learn to program in Unity? Great! Select the programming option
    Need to know the basics? Great! Select the Beginner option
    Audio? Animation? Whatever? Great! Select the relevant option

This was such a simple and easy-to-use format for both beginners and veterans. Information was clear, easy to read, and easy to access. I used it consistently to brush up on skills and when new features were released.

BUT NOW....
    What is going on...?

I'm greeted with a full page of information. Everything draws my attention away from the actual tutorial menu.
    And when I find it, these are the options. Which are so broad, that I don't know where to go. 3 items could each have animation information. 2 of them could contain vector/quaternion information...
    upload_2021-5-14_12-5-17.png

OH... BUT WAIT SORRY
    There is actually another menu.

But, this menu isn't complete either. And is set out in some random order that makes it impossible to dial in on what you want at a glance.
    upload_2021-5-14_12-9-0.png

OH... BUT WAIT SORRY
    There is actually another menu.

Ok, so now we have a relatively easy-to-read menu. Information is clearly presented. And I can quickly scan for a topic. But, if I want more than what is available right here, I am taken to a completely different layout.
    upload_2021-5-14_12-12-18.png

What is this supposed to be? When I select from the searches, I can only see one result at a time...
    This has clearly been designed by someone who values form over function. The funniest thing is, the giant search bar taking up 20% of the screen saying WHAT DO YOU WANT TO LEARN?. When I was learning, I didn't know what I needed to learn. How would you know what to search for? Even as a senior, I might not know what I'm looking for if the feature is new to me.
    upload_2021-5-14_12-18-27.png

OH... BUT WAIT SORRY
    There is actually another THREE MENUS. (on the main page)
    I'll save you the pics, go look for yourself. There is Live Learning, Featured Submissions, and Bitesized Lessons. https://learn.unity.com/

To conclude this rant. Your old tutorial format was perfect. Your new format is dumb. Not every webpage needs to look like it was made on WordPress using their premade layouts. If the old format for tutorials is still out there somewhere, please send me the link.

stain2319 likes this.
  2. xjjon

xjjon

IPO happened :oops:

I remember a lot of complaints about the new layout when it was first rolled out a couple years ago - doesn't seem to have improved since

3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

It’s definitely more difficult to navigate, but the old tutorials were sorely lacking in content.

I think there aim was to make a course feel for it, and they’ve achieved that.

Also, I certainly can’t complain since I recall I asked them to do exactly what they are doing now.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  4. Stardog

Stardog

It seems fine. Are you seriously having trouble finding what you want?

The site is a search bar with filters.

The categories/sections are just pre-made searches they made for you.

The main issue I have is that they have ignored basic accessibility, so going back doesn't get you to where you were before. And they have inifinite/lazy loading results, instead of pages.

5. DevViktoria

DevViktoria

I agree with OP. The learning site is a bit chaotic. For me it was really hard to differentiate what are those tutorials that are made recently, in order to make sure I am not learning outdated content. That is really hard.
    For example all the tutorial that are in the pathways are using the old input system, I have discovered about the new input system only accidentally .....

6. pekdata

pekdata

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, you should try looking for something specific, a tutorial you remember of for example.

8. stain2319

stain2319

I think OP's point is that if you're learning, you don't always know exactly what to search for, because "you don't know what you don't know." So you might not even know what you need to learn.