Search Unity

TextMesh Pro What happened to "SDF Sprite & Shapes" feature?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Cleverlie, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

Hi, I watched a video posted by the developer of TMP, where he shows us a WIP on an amazing feature.

this is the video:

this feature would allow devs to do lots of dynamic effects on UI windows and panels, without having to "bake" them into the original image files, such as background shadows, normals, etc. the imagination is the limit.

since the video is almost 2 years old, I imagine either this feature was left as a concept in favour of other more requested features, or this is already implemented and I didn't notice it all this time.

anyone knows what happened to it? thanks!

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I simply haven't had time to revisit this feature. :(

I still think this would be a nice feature to have so hopefully, I can find the time to work on it.

3. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

I think it could be a really powerful tool to add, but take your time, all the stuff you did so far is excellent quality, I was wondering the other day how you implemented the new SDFAA method, how did you move from minutes or hours to miliseconds to compute the atlases?? anyways it would be a nice to have but I think your focus might be in the right areas right now, thanks for this amazing asset!

4. bitinn

bitinn

5. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

yeah I've seen that asset before, but since its a bit outdated and also seeing that Stephan's solution integrates directly with TextMeshPro and with that, comes with all the benefits, excellent UX and tools that he already designed, I was excited about that research shown in youtube, even more knowing that if it comes from him it will have sustained long term support over time since he is working with Unity Technologies already. We'll hopefully hear news about it in the future!

6. cmann

cmann

Any updates? This seems like an amazing feature

Cleverlie likes this.
  7. petersvp

petersvp

Sorry for necroimg this thread but it is very top ranking in Google. You can already make SDF shapes yourself by using photoshop's precise glow layer effect on a white image, then create a material and set this image as a font atlas, then add it to a quad or sprite renderer. Check this tweet for details how to implement it: https://twitter.com/petersvp/status/1617095132314210306