Search Unity

Question What happened to (Rough) Planar Reflection in 10.x ?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by unit_x, Jun 5, 2021.

1. unit_x

unit_x

Please bear with me if this has been mentioned / explained elsewhere, but I can't seem to find them. Anyway, I'm upgrading from Unity 2019, HDRP 7.3.1 to 2020.3.5f1 LTS, HDRP 10.4.0 , and the effect of Planar Reflection Probe seems to changed... a lot.

Check this simple scene with a default cube, default cube with some HDR emission and ground smoothness = 0.8. Other settings are identical, both rendered with reflection probe resolution 1024:

2019,HDRP 7.3.1
    2019.png

2020,HDRP 10.4.0
    2020.png

The new version in HDRP 10.4.0 looks rather inferior with huge "pixelated" glowing stuff (which looks really bad when it moves) and some weird ghosting in the middle. Check this where smoothness = 0.55. I think at this smoothness you shouldn't see any mirror-like reflections but hey:

2020_smoothness_0.55.png

Back in HDRP 7.3.1 the reflections blurred out rather nicely...
    2019_smoothnesss_0.55.png

From a quick read of the Planar Reflection Probe section here( https://docs.unity.cn/Packages/com....high-definition@10.4/manual/whats-new-10.html ) I get it that they get an update in HDRP 10.x and should produce better and more physically based results, however these behaviours above baffle me. Did I miss some new settings introduced in HDRP 10.x? How can I make them perform like the way they did back in earlier versions? Or do they perform differently in newer HDRP versions?

btw: I didn't enable SSR and increasing probe resolution in HDRP 10.4 does not help at all.

Thanks in advance!

2. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, what are you screen space reflection settings? Did you try to add an override to your volume and tune it?

3. unit_x

unit_x

Hi,
    as I stated both project has SSR turned off in their HDRP Asset. I tried turning that on and here are some extra results:

without SSR( basically the same image, but I'll post it anyway)
    2020_SSR_off.png

SSR on with mode "approximation" and its setting profile:
    2020_SSR_non_PBR.png
    SSR On with mode "PBR accumulation" and its setting profile:
    2020_SSR_PBR.png

the PBR version produces slightly better result but still suffers from weird "banding" and noise in general. I think after all it's just screen-based and a planar reflection probe would do much better in this scenario, hence why I didn't bother enabling it in the first place.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  4. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i haven't used planar reflections before and hardly use them now but i noticed that in scene view they tend to look fine while in game view they are just pixelated like hell.
    as far as i remember turning off "auto" field of view or so fixed this.

Qleenie likes this.
  5. Qleenie

Qleenie

I have same issue, thought it would be related to VR (or are you using also VR?). Unfortunately, for VR there seems no easy fix, as changing field of view introduces other issues.