Search Unity

What happened to Probuilder? Issues with Normals

Discussion in 'World Building' started by FiveFingerStudios, Dec 17, 2020.

1. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

I've been using ProBuilder in 2017.4 LTS for years....and just recently upgraded to 4.4.0 in package manager because I had to migrate to 2018.4 LTS.

Now every mesh I open, ProBuilder screws up the normals and makes the faces black. Some worse than others, but every single mesh has black faces now. Some I can fix by changing the smoothing, but most I can't....which is making development so much slower since I have to export it to Blender, fix it, then re-import it.

In the attached image, the tip and end of the bullet have bad normals once I probuilderize it. The black faces have normals that are clearly pointing in the wrong directions.

Is there ANY solution to prevent or correct this?

Some notes:
    1. The faces that are black do not have flipped normals.
    2. The mesh does not have UV's out of bounds.
    3. It does not have any very small UVs.
    4. I've tried every combination of probuilderize import settings for import Quads and smoothing and they dont fix this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  2. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

If you are able to file a bug report with a problem mesh attached, I can try to diagnose the point of failure.

As a workaround, you can also use the "Flip Normals" action, or even selecting all faces and using "Conform Normals" may do the trick.

3. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Thanks, I will file a bug report.