Search Unity

What happened to Kinematica?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Deleted User, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Kinematica Motion Matching. We haven't heard anything about it in a long time. Last package update "0.8.0 Experimental" was in August 03, 2020, that's 15 months since then! This tech seemed really promising when it was introduced in Unite Berlin 2018. Resources are shallow/little as there's almost no tutorial about it.

Is it still being worked on? Thanks!

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/com.unity.kinematica.html

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2021
  2. Onigiri

Onigiri

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

4. razzraziel

razzraziel

There is MxM which also works for the same purpose and more advanced. You can look into that.
    Too bad its sale and bundle is over.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Buying assets is not a solution for me(due to issues, deprecations, incompatibility and so on). Plus, it's not convincing for me.

Deleted User likes this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Expect a motion solution around 2024 that you can use on some platforms but not all of them, with further work still to be done. 2022 is a maybe, and it may be just DOTS only. Basically, don't bank on any kind of working solution in 2022. Unity themselves take steps to make sure people understand that it's not worth banking on what-ifs.

Plan for what you have right now.

Deleted User likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it! :)

And yes, I'm aware that it's gonna take a bit of time until there's a real motion solution, betting 2023 as the base and the start of that.. and I'm willing to wait until that time! :D