Search Unity

What happened to $49/month subscription plan?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by johnnyt, Jun 28, 2016.

1. johnnyt

johnnyt

Few days ago, Unity announced a $49 per month subscription plan for Unity Plus, with no forced commitment for one year. What happened with that subscription plan?

2. orb

orb

That was MANY days ago, and the Plus plan has evolved since. They added a lot of features to make it actually attractive (nobody in their right mind would get it with the original offers at either price), and removed the month-to-month option to compensate for the doubled revenue limit etc.

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

4. johnnyt

johnnyt

"nobody in their right mind would get it with the original offers at either price"

I asked because I'd like to use such a plan, even if some people call me nuts.

So why not keep both $35/month with forced 1 year subscription and $200 000 revenue limit and an $49/month with unforced subcription and $100 000 revenue limit? That way, more people will be happy. More happy customers, more money Unity Technologies will make.

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Why?

6. johnnyt

johnnyt

Because I can pay for how many months I want to pay, I'm not forced to pay for 1 year. I can pay only when I am releasing the game to get rid of that slash screen.

7. TanselAltinel

TanselAltinel

Did you really care to read the blog post?
    Previous Plus plan did not have splash screen removal option.

I suggest you read it throughly
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/06/16/evolution-of-our-products-and-pricing/

So with this goal in mind we are going to make these changes to what we announced previously:

• We’re making the Unity splash screen in Unity Plus optional, like it is in Unity Pro.
    • We’re raising the revenue cap in Unity Plus from $100k to $200k so that more of you are able to take advantage of it.
    In order to be able to do this, we removed the option to subscribe to Unity Plus without a one-year commitment. We also restricted Pay to Own to only apply to Unity Pro and not Unity Plus (see Pay to Own details further down). We let these things go from Unity Plus in order to be able to introduce the new advantages.

theANMATOR2b, Ostwind, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The "old" plus for $49/month did not let you remove the splash screen.

Ostwind, Ryiah and angrypenguin like this.
  9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That's exactly what they didn't want people doing.

10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

We complained about it enough that Unity gave it up. As a replacement they came out with the plus plan with the 12 month commitment. Which everybody loves.

11. tswalk

tswalk

apparently not everybody :)

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah except that you could not remove splash, so your idea would have never worked.

Ryiah and QFSW like this.