Search Unity

What happended to "Short cycle development"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xCyborg, Oct 26, 2013.

1. xCyborg

xCyborg

Some while back, I picked up from this blog: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2013/03/08/short-cycle-development/ here that UT was gonna initiate some simultaneous development approach to shorten the gaps between releases and integrate the bug hunting process along the development to achieve some... 2 months timeframe between release.
    Now after 4.2 and the likely new year release of 4.3, it seems much more logical to think that the said timeframe was meant for minor 4.x.x releases, I really wonder how 300+ crew with a dozen QA staff takes so much time to integrate a last-year NinjaCamp project + some aquired technology (Mechanim updates) and a asset-store-like 2D clone.
    Believe it or not, teasing a new feature and waiting too long to release it can backfire right at your face, I almost fell for Marmalade SDK if it had a proper Level Editor. Next time just don't spill the beans until last minute, thank you and I we won't endure more that the current 4 months in the future.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Implementing a full 2D engine does not come under "short cycle". Unless of course, you would rather they do half a job, despite everyone supporting Unity on doing a full and complete job?

You'd probably want them to release half a GUI too.

It's people like you who don't even buy Unity, who whine non stop and produce nothing except meaningless whining on forums that distract Unity from doing a good job instead of encouraging a staff of human beings to do better.

Don't let the door bang your arse on the way out.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's hilarious, considering the number of people constantly saying "don't just wait until the last minute, tell us roadmaps as soon as possible".

--Eric

4. xCyborg

xCyborg

May I remind you that you yourself were a whining complainer just like me before becoming the complacent-Unity-will-come-when-its-ready hippo that you are. even though my only problem as you may have known had you read the blogpost is that I was just wondering about Unity's own SSD program that THEY announced NOT me, that's it.
    It's people like you that once they get their iOS shadows and RenderTextures they stick to the 4.0.0 release and

drive Unity to become another Torque3D or Blitz.
    Why should the GUI be perfect if there is another release on the horizon and tou can get some input from last

releases well along the bugs instead of developing like on an isolated iland.
    The short iterative development was the answer to your all-or-nothing hippononsense, and when it happens we are
    gonna see you flip the jacket again.

5. Archania

Archania

So Unity should send out an uncompleted GUI/2D/etc. Then they will deal with the all the threads complaining, bitching, yelling, etc. Same with the 2D, etc.
    Heck they have been promising the GUI for years already.
    And Unity will always tell you when it is ready it will be sent out otherwise they have to deal with everyone complaining. I can understand about sending out mini updates but something like this is more of a major update then a simple bug fix one. So like everyone else, we will have to wait for Unity to release it.

6. virror

virror

I don't get it what any of you are talking about.
    Of course big features like 2d system and new GUI wont be made in between two cycles, that would be just stupid.
    Its totally possible to have big features needing a lot of dev time and still have decently short release cycles, but then dont expect big stuff every release of course and to be honest i would prefer quicker releases with less content and maybe every second release or something had a bigger feature in it.

7. inafield

inafield

I'm just curious, but how many of you have actually released multiple large releases, milestones, and service packs for a large system? Know anything or have any experience actually patching between major feature releases? By the way, when I say "large system", video games are tiny compared to enterprise systems.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

When I moan at Unity, it's not a threat that i'll leave for marmalade. If you're going to complain about something leave some form of constructive criticism that will help them. In this case I would urge the community to understand that developing something as complicated as Unity isn't something you can rush yesterday.

I want several things, but streaming, proper streaming of assets for open world resource hogs would be number one on my list. But the best way to put your point across is to illustrate what you need it for, why you need them to do something and so on.

In the case of roadmaps and so forth, it was the community itself pressuring Unity the wrong way - in fact trolling Unity whenever they couldn't keep to an exact deadline. Exactly what you're doing. So they've clammed up and have adopted an approach of "when it's ready". Please don't cause Unity to be even more wary. We want more communication with the developers (I kind of have that now, even if you don't, but I'd like you to have it too).

And you do this by realising that the people behind Unity are just human beings. That's right, it's not a faceless entity, but a private company with passionate individuals who DO like their work appreciated. And if you appreciate it, perhaps more details and updates will get here faster. I think that's realistic to expect.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

@ Hippo much agreed, Unity has it's flaws. But without it myself and many others wouldn't of been able to execute there passion, the editor, coding and environment is nothing short of amazing.. That's coming from a team that's used competitors extensively (not me personally so much, bit of a noob:))

10. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

I used to care about Unity just releasing promised features, then I used mecanim.

I'm pretty good waiting for them to actually finish things first now.

11. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Yeah we don't want them to half ass the implementation anymore just the marketing guys can say we added x y and z, so it's preferable they take the time to do it properly

12. login4donald

login4donald

Dude, you're not serious right? An engine isn't easy to implement nor create; 2D or not. I'd like to see you try. They have big expectations and they have to do it good and well and that takes time. I mainly play around with 2D elements and if I can forgo third party tools (NGUI and etc.) for the next cycle. I'm fine. I rather have a quality over speed when it comes down to it. Trolling or not; patience is a virtue.

13. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

So...you're complaining that Unity is developing too slowly because they let the public know what's coming next. Am I the only one that finds that amusing? Did you get tired of jumping around excitedly? Yes, they're late for the "every 2 months 4.x update", but I doubt that they can hit it in the nail each time for any type of feature, some features are larger than others. I'm sure they can feel the pressure and possible loss of developers. But fortunately for Unity, we developers don't have many other game engine options to run towards, it looks like we'll just have to wait.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  14. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

^ This. Though Unity rocks and the devs are smart, they're still just regular folks. On the plus side, the extended time it's taken indicates a desire to get it right. Kudos for that.

Gigi