Search Unity

What Game Should I Make??

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by GaminMadness, Jul 5, 2015.

1. GaminMadness

GaminMadness

Hello guys I am new here and I have seen a lot of tutorials and now I can work on coding and everything but I am still confused how to start I mean I wanted to make a horror game but people say make a game which is simple for the first time and that is where I cannot think of one simple game
    I always wanted to make 3d games and I cannot think of any simple 3d game so what should I do
    Make a horror game which I want to
    OR
    Make a simple 3d game which I cannot think of

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You should make whatever game (or demo) is within your current abilities (or just a little bit beyond).

When you say you have "seen" a lot of tutorials, does that mean you have done a lot of tutorials? As in, actually followed along and reproduced the projects being shown? If not, then you should go back and do that. You will be amazed at how much you didn't actually learn just by watching them.

Once you've done that, you should try taking some of the tutorials farther. Can you add a new enemy to the space shooter? Add a ground-pound action to the platformer? Add weapons to the driving game? Or whatever. It really doesn't matter — just try to add something to something, and build those skills.

When you feel you're ready to start from scratch, start by getting an object on the screen, and do something simple. Make a cube that you can drive around a plane, for example. Or here's something one of my students did last semester: he made a "flappy cube" game similar to flappy bird, but it was all 3D objects: a cube that would flap up when you pressed the spacebar, and then free-fall thanks to the physics engine, all while moving continuously forward through the level. Any collision between the cube and stuff in the level caused a big particle explosion to appear, and then reset the level after a short delay. It was cool and fun to play, and most importantly, he learned a lot doing it.

The world of stuff you could create is immense... and it really doesn't matter what you do; just do something, every day, and build the skills you will need to someday create the game of your dreams!

OboShape likes this.
  3. Daniken

Daniken

I'm assuming your horror game will be a First Person Perspective game, you could then start off making the player and the scripts which will allow the player to move around. Will you be able to sneak? duck? run? Sure some of these stuff might be to specific in the begning, but if you are thinking of having it in your game, you will at some point need to implement those functionalities. In this way you both work on improving your Unity skills and moving closer in creating a game you want to make!

Have fun and good luck!

4. tedthebug

tedthebug

Make a shmup. That way you learn to move a character, shoot, spawn enemies & have them move, & have a counter. Once that works add in a power up that drops randomly when an enemy is destroyed. These are not too difficult but I made stupid mistakes like destroying the enemy before spawning the power up so when the instantiate referenced the position it wasn't actually there. These little things caused headaches but were simple to work out when I stopped swearing at the PC & actually stepped thru the code, therefore a nice simple lesson to learn but one that can then be used elsewhere e.g sounds won't play fully if they run off the object you destroy.
    By starting simple & adding variations one at a time, & ensuring they work before adding the next, it will be easier to isolate issues when the game breaks (& it will break, a lot)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  5. LaneFox

LaneFox

Shoot'em ups are the funnest thing to make, imo.

You can do a lot with it, the gameplay is quickly prototyped, you'll have to use most of Unity's core features, it is quickly fun to play which is rewarding and it can be anything from very simple to quite robust/complicated depending on your skill level.

6. kittik

kittik

I am in the process of making a horror/action game. A swashbuckling game, with a sword, a projectile and a tonne of zombies - I'm having a lot of fun.

I highly suggest making an MVP before trying to make a game. From Nov to Jan I made a basic version of the game I am creating now, I am able to regurgitate some of my code (with a few tweaks) and I am able to look at my project from different stances. I am always comparing my work with my MVP and think "why do I like my MVP so much?" "How can I make thing A and thing B better?"

I also strongly suggest having a pen and paper nearby. I find myself drawing maps, details and jotting down code quite a lot.

I don't think asking "what game should I make?" is useful. I really don't like the majority of Platformers, so I would find it hard to create a Platformer - I don't know what makes a Platformer better/worse than another, I don't have the same enthusiasm for them as I do with other genres. I really enjoy RTS games, and I know when the time comes and I create a RTS, I will be completely compelled to complete the project and to a high standard.

7. jhocking

jhocking

For clarity, I believe he's talking about a "minimum viable product". Refer to the Extra Credits videos at the top of this forum, especially the third one http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/...first-game/how-to-scope-small-and-start-right

And I agree with that advice. It's why in my book Unity in Action I don't spend the entire book focused on one game genre, but rather skip around to different game genres every few chapters.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

MMORPG.. Of course.

Ryiah, Martin_H and GarBenjamin like this.
  9. Diericx

Diericx

For the sake of your sanity OP don't do it xD

Ryiah and Deleted User like this.
  10. JKMS

JKMS

First , make a simple horror game , then if its going well add the graphics , sound and other things .