Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. We’re making changes to the Unity Runtime Fee pricing policy that we announced on September 12th. Access our latest thread for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

What game are you making? Title, Genre, Multiplatform (Screenshots would be awesome!)

Discussion in 'PSM' started by apiningakowntkuyn1, Apr 11, 2014.

1. apiningakowntkuyn1

apiningakowntkuyn1

Titles that are already available on other platforms that you're currently porting to Unity-for-PSM are fine too.

2. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Nice idea, although i don't think its wise posting 'unreleased' games, due to.. bad people? May take games name, attempt to clone it etc.
    The games released already is okay :)
    Heres my first and second best games that i hope to release on Vita, i plan of course, to give them major improvements for the vita. ;)

Raptors Online - Free to play dinosaur multiplayer, iOS, Android, Kindles.
    http://flamefalcon.co.uk/portfolio.php#raptorsonline
    $21ip4.jpg $22ip4.jpg

Disillusions Manga Horror - First person, 3D environment, 2D character art
    Trying to get it on Steam, Greenlight, although its not had too many yes votes :/
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=194823641
    http://flamefalcon.co.uk/portfolio.php#dmh
    $ip4DMH6Free.jpg $ip4DMH1.jpg

3. apiningakowntkuyn1

apiningakowntkuyn1

Right. I didn't think about that.

So just post things you're ready to promote I guess.

4. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

What about yourself then? Got any released? What are you planning for Vita?
    I like making multiplayer games at the moment, so thats probably what I'm going to do. :p

5. apiningakowntkuyn1

apiningakowntkuyn1

I'm not a developer :)

I just want to see what games Unity developers will bring to the Vita.

When Unity was announced for the Vita, I thought games like

N.O.V.A
    Modern Combat 4
    Dead Trigger
    Shadowgun

will be ported to Vita. Still no luck.

So I'm looking from other developers instead.

6. GMM

GMM

Everyone can start developing, so get to it ;)

In terms of those game, it's most likely more a question if it is worth porting them to the Vita system and quite frankly the people behind those games will most likely not want to bother porting it to PSM and neither want to purchase Vita development kits + a Unity Vita license so that they can launch the game in a more worthwhile digital store.

Personally i will probably mostly use PSM as a development reference device since it allows for a variation of controls + good base hardware, but selling things using PSM does not seem worth the effort unless you have a fast turnover on porting the product you are developing as PSM sales seem abysmal since Sony is doing an extremely poor job on marketing the service, highlighting worthwhile releases and content discoverability

Unity for PSM is a big step in the right direction for getting rid of the technical restrictions found in PSM and developers can make some amazing content using Unity for PSM, but at the end of the day it will not fix the core problems that PSM has.

7. apiningakowntkuyn1

apiningakowntkuyn1

I understand those reasons, but now with Unity-for-PSM, I'm wishing that they start porting since they don't need Devkits and licenses now.

With Unity-for-PSM, wouldn't it be easy to port the games I mentioned to Vita? I though that's the idea of Unity engine? Maybe just optimize the games a little.

Yeah, this is truly the right direction. This is what they should have done in the first place. I've always complained to @yosp @playstation about PSM having to support phones since the weakest phone is limiting the utilization of the capabilities of the Vita.

Though I believe that one of the reasons the original PSM is failing is because it's not getting the top mobile games which a lot of people were expecting when it was announced. It just became another Indie platform.

So in order for it to stop being ignored, the most popular games should be ported to it first so people will start using it, and then the other games will also start being noticed.

8. GMM

GMM

It's actually very unlikely that most of those games would be easy to port using Unity for PSM simply because we are restricted to whatever works with Unity Free. I am guessing that that most of those advanced games use RenderTextures in some form or another to achieve better visuals by utilizing fast post process techniques that makes their games look better, a feature that is completely missing in Unity Free and would require any developer to completely redo or disable those features.

The lack of RenderTextures are one of the biggest issues to me and in my case would have me completely retool my Camera handling system since i made a system that would better seperate the Display from the internal Renderer, so now they would force me to do performance expensive tricks to achieve the same results and makes another use completely impossible to do on Unity free.

These developers cannot actively debug and optimize their games in the best ways possible for the system without buying the full Vita development package (makes PSM development irrelevant), though they might be able to use the profiler found in Unity Pro to make some base optimizations.

Things like PSM can be successful, Xbox Live Indie Games showed that some developers could make relatively good revenue simply by having a good product out for the system at hand, but it still was not enough to make customers actively discover other content on the service. PSM needs to die on the Vita and everything needs to be in a central store that allows for consumers to as easily find your game as much as the likes of Killzone, Final Fantasy etc. Based on what Microsoft have said so far in terms of their plans for Independent Xbox One development, they acknowledge that content separation was a major issue and that anything published on the Xbox Live Marketplace would be in a unified ecosystem like found on iOS and Google Play.

This is what PSM needs to be on the Vita, it's utterly terrible from a business point of view in it's current form.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  9. apiningakowntkuyn1

apiningakowntkuyn1

So your game is currently running on iOS or Android with RenderTextures without the expense of Unity Pro?

Can you please breakdown the differences on payment/licenses of Android, iOS, and Unity-for-PSM? I'm a bit confused, you can use Unity Pro on iOS and Android without Devkit? But need for PSVita you need Devkit for the same functions?

EDIT: The UnityJapan2014 pdf says

A new target platform from the Unity Editor
    •Similar to Unity’s support for iOS/Android and the Unity Webplayer

What does that mean?

EDIT2:
    License cost

•In essence free
    •Follows Unity Free / Pro licensing
    •Unity Free→PSM Basic
    •Unity Pro→PSM Pro

•Main differences:
    •Profiler
    •Network socket APIs
    •Splash screen

There seems to be a PSM PRO. Won't this allow you to use RenderTextures?

10. GMM

GMM

I am currently not working on a mobile project that uses RenderTextures, but rather made a system for another Pro project for PC that uses a RenderTexure to dynamically change the internal resolution of the renderer while retaining the initial display settings. Now, the same system should be able to work fine on Mobile devices(although might need some minor changes to optimize performance). Since i rely on this system being present to create an effect for a relatively small section of my project, i will not be able to do so without purchasing a Vita development kit + license (though who knows if we get a PSM Pro for 1500$ when this thing launches).

This is also the case when it comes to the free editions of iOS and Android, but i am able to freely purchase these licenses in order to "upgrade" my product, this is not the case with PSM from what i can gather. On iOS and Android, a consumer device is the development kit and from those you can access different kind of debugging methods. With PSM on the other hand, it does not seem like we have access to any kind of debugger outside of the editor profiler.

So in order to make this simple effect work (really something Unity should support for free), i should in the best case invest 3000$ in Unity Pro PC and Unity Pro PSM in order to get it working and then would have to recoup the same money on what appears to be a very poor digital store.

Edit:
    Didn't see your edit there before writing the reply. I was unaware that PSM Pro was free and implemented, then the solution should work fine. I would wish there where some better documentation on all this, but that is absolutely great news.

I was running the PSM Preview just using the Free version, since it didn't outline any Pro features anywhere when downloading it.

11. apiningakowntkuyn1

apiningakowntkuyn1

So even with the Preview, you will be able to use RenderTexture now that you know that it supports Unity Pro? Or do you still have to wait for some kind of update to allow you to do so?

EDIT: About the debugger thing. Would it really be that big of a problem? Won't Sony be able to provide it in the future?

12. GMM

GMM

If everything works as expected, then i should be able to use it just fine, so i look forward to being able to deploy to my Vita, will most likely upload some test footage of a few shader things.

The debugger is kinda significant, since it allows us to properly identify performance intensive segments of our applications, but the profiler should at least allow us to get pretty far. The Pro features being present should allow some pretty spectacular things to be developed, so if Unity for PSM isn't RAM limited like the normal SDK, PSM games could be on par with things found in the main store.

13. KazooieFan

KazooieFan

My wife and I are in the middle of making a 3D platformer/adventure game. We are new at this and only work on it in our spare time (which isn't all that much these days, but I should have a few more hours open up each week soon) so it's a very long term project. I am very excited with the possibility of developing it for the Vita with this, hoping to try out what we have so far on the my vita soon to see how it will work.