Search Unity

What files are needed to share an app with someone else?

Discussion in 'VR' started by Wallawocko, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Wallawocko

Wallawocko

Hello,

Looking at my unity deployed "App" folders -- They're huge! 2.5gb for the simplest of them...

Is everything in there necessary to transfer my application to another developer for them to run it in VS2015 and deploy to their holo? What is actually needed? Any way to trim this file size down? (2.5gb on thesample tutorials...)

2. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Hello,

What do you need in this situation? Does the other just need to be able to deploy the application? Or does he/she need to debug the application as well?

If it is just deploying, you can build a appx bundle in VS2015 which is one file that the dev can deploy to a machine through Web B.

Also, you can give the other developer the Assets and the Project Settings from you unity project and he/she can build the project themselves and deploy.

Let me know if you have questions, comments, concerns.

Thank you,
    Wesley

3. Wallawocko

Wallawocko

Yes, as you specified, i'm looking to allow the other user to just deploy the application.

Is there any guidelines on how to build this appx bundle, and how (more importantly) they can throw this to their device?

I've tried to build the standard tutorial (the 101E from microsoft) in this way (Right click on the project in Visual studio, going to Store >Create app bundle), but always get errors from the unity files... in particular "Could not copy the file ".....PROJECTFOLER\plugins\x64\audiopluginMSHRTF.dll" because it was not found"
    This sounds like an issue in the build process from unity? Or am i attempting to bundle the wrong file? Looking at the project folder, the plugins directory does not have a x64 folder, just an x86 one....

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  4. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Hello,

You might have a configuration error with your appx bundle, you need to make sure your are building the correct things. I would recommended making the appx a release build.

here is a link to help:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh454036.aspx

You can also deploy to his HoloLens device through the IP address in Visual Studio, once it is installed and deployed he should have the app on his device until it is in-installed.

However once the appx is installed you want to install the app through Web B. You can do this by going to the apps page in Web B and installing the bundle through that page.

upload_2016-6-21_13-19-1.png

Let me know if that helps.

Thank you,
    Wesley