Search Unity

What features should a good 3D character asset have?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jean_Boulogne, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Jean_Boulogne

Jean_Boulogne

Hi, I am a 3D modeller and since makeing nice looking 3D models takes time. I wanted to ask you beautiful dev's, what features should a good 3D model have. I am working on a Horror Creature. It will be 100%quads, and rigged I probably will give it claws and the like the low poly would be around 10k tris the high one around 40k. What features should it have (PBR textures and resolution, animations and what type, with wich assets should it be compatible, anyting else)? What files should I add (source blend file)? Here are some pictures of the early basemesh. Excuse my English it is not my native language fiend 1.png fiend wireframe.png

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  2. Jean_Boulogne

Jean_Boulogne

Please feel free to tell me anything that comes to your mind. I would love for my characters to end up in some games. So if you can spare some time tell me what you want. I aim to make something people like and can use.

3. TonyLi

TonyLi

Depending on the character design, facial animation support (blendshape or skeletal). If the character doesn't have a face, disregard.

Compatibility with Humanoid rig.

If the character design calls for specific, custom animations, then include the animations. Otherwise consider omitting animations and let customers use humanoid retargeting to apply their own animations unless your animations are very good.

Jean_Boulogne likes this.
  4. Jean_Boulogne

Jean_Boulogne

thanks TonyLi, you mean Unitys mechanim humanoids system I assume.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  5. TonyLi

TonyLi

Yes, although Unity prefers to call it Animator instead of Mecanim now.

Jean_Boulogne likes this.