Search Unity

Discussion What features/mechanics do you really like in an FPS?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by MrJsmall, May 17, 2023.

1. MrJsmall

MrJsmall

What are/is your favorite feature/mechanic in an FPS you’ve played, or in an FPS you would like to see built? What do you think feels really good in an FPS, and what doesn’t?
    Just curious, and I’m currently working on a First Person Shooter, so if I can add any of the things people list that they like, I will try!

I personally really like grappling hooks in First person shooters. To me, there is nothing more satisfying than flinging yourself across the map to take out a hostile, or swinging through a parkour course against the clock.
    I also really really like being able to kick an enemy to stun them, then deliver the finishing blow.
    On the other end of the spectrum, I absolutely hate when first person shooters, have natural regeneration. I think that when you get shot or hit, you should actually care. With natural re-gen, you can get shot a 70 times before you die. Makes no sense. I prefer using medkits or healing potions.

Now please feel free to start adding to this! I am looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say. Plus, if anyone else is making an FPS, they can come here to look for ideas or insight.

Cheers!

2. Marrt

Marrt

Yep, i second the Grappling Hook. But i do like the natural health regeneration/reset. But only if the reset is done right. I think what the reset tries to achieve is making duels more fair (If you face a second duel and only have 20% hp left, it feels unrewarding for the other duelist) and promotes risky gameplay instead of a slower safe battle of attrition playstyle (which also has its place in some games).

For inspiration: Try/watch Titanfall 2 & Prey (2006) they are filthy rich on mechanics.

3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

i rarely play games these days but when i do my taste has changed a lot. i never use to like roguelites but thats my favorite now.

i haven't enjoyed many modern shooters but i did like returnal (its third person).

i liked the doom 2016 but not the subsequents. I dunno, I feel like the shooter was perfected around Counter Strike era and since then theres been a lot of attempts to improve but at best its just recipe variation, a lot of times its overseasoning.

I havent kept up with competitive shooters at all. last i played was r6 seige which has great gameplay but definitely took a hard left turn from its roots in style.

4. warthos3399

warthos3399

FPS can be deved in many different ways (horror, RPG, survival, etc.). One comment on my previous game Jurassic Extinction was... "make sure its 1st person, so i can imagine its me doing it".

Best advice ever... players want to feel they really are the character, more personal, more involved. So no matter your game type, immerse the player in the story, or games objective.