Search Unity

What engine would be more suitable to make a game like Oblivion and a mmorpg?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vegenarie, Jan 15, 2012.

1. coffinsnail

coffinsnail

How so? you said game industry, which consists of many types of games from portable to console to computer. from fps, to puzzle to mmo. how is c++ a must? its a language like any other it has its pros and cons like any others, you say c ++ is a must but others could say python is a must. so can you provide proof that all games that become popular are or had to be written in c++?

and to the original topic post. the only real answer is this.

The engine you build is the right one. because all engines are geared for something specific, graphics, fps, persistent mmo world. they have to give in one area and lose in another otherwise there would be one engine to rule them all and there is not.

so in reality the only engine to make what you want is the one you make. (based off the fact that every game company either builds their own engine, or adds to a engine they purchase to get what they need.)

2. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I think battle star galactica online was made in unity, so was a cartoon network mmo that is 2 mmorpgs made in unity.

@vegenarie You cannot say that Unity Script has no use as unity is a full engine its not just some toy, you can use unity script to make a great game in unity.

@coffinsnail, unity isent realy geared at anything inpaticular its just that that is kind of its downfall as other places do what there geard for easyer then unity.

3. coffinsnail

coffinsnail

ya missed my point, basically he asked can you build and oblivion mmorpg. and as i stated no engine can do that, they are all geared diffrently, or built costume ala ncsoft and their engine is propiatary they wont let anyone but ncsoft studios use it.

4. nickyoso1

nickyoso1

I would go with heroengine. I just registered yesterday for it. Best part of the engine is that they provide you with free servers. It will only cost you money when you start making money with the game(30% goes to them in that case). Since the engine is used for the latest star-wars mmorpg I thought i'd give it a try