Search Unity

What Engine are you currently using? What are you going to do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arkon, May 22, 2014.

?

What engine are you currently using and what are your plans?

1. Using Unity only with no plans to switch

36 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Using Unreal Engine only with no plans to switch

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. Using Unity but trying out the Unreal subscription

26 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Using Unity but moving to Unreal Engine

10 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Using Unity for some projects and Unreal for others

9 vote(s)
    10.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arkon

arkon

There is a ton of talk on here regarding Unity and Unreal engines but no clear idea of what people are currently using or planning to do.
    Stick with Unity or switch to Unreal or even use both. So here is a poll to find out...

2. JovanD

JovanD

Even though UE seems to be "better" i won't switch cuz i hate change XD

3. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

I am currently using neither Unity or UE.

4. yaapelsinko

yaapelsinko

Learned Unity last 6 months. Looks like wasted time now.

Probably UE4 will be used for next project.

5. Chariots

Chariots

Unity 5 seems to have lots of stuff on the pipe, but it has no clear timeframe, best we got was "it is coming in 5.x", which is anywhere between 8 months to 2.5 years from now. Currently, we are committed on our current project with Unity, but when it is finished, and the tools/features difference between UE4 and Unity is still the same or similar at that point, we'll probably go with UE4.

If we were starting out just now, UE4 would be a no brainer for a desktop project like ours.

6. gregzo

gregzo

Answer 2 - "Using Unreal Engine only with no plans to switch but lots of free time to troll the Unity Forums".

7. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Unity with no current plans of changing.

8. SolitudeSA

SolitudeSA

I'm currently using Unity. The game I'm busy with is mostly complete with prototype graphics so I I'll be working on replacing those and then once the game is released I will see which way to go next.

Chances are that I will move to UE4 if Unity doesn't offer something similar in pricing to UE4.

For the next couple of months though I'll definitely use Unity only.

9. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Unity - with Unity5 preordered. No current plans of switching. No plans to try out UE4, either because of lack of time. I'll probably join in on UE4 when it's more hardware friendly in a few months. ;)

Then it will be Unity and UE4 for the time being. Switch plans are made on a project and requirement basis for me. Not on an image basis.

10. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Unity with no current plans of changing. - Waiting for Unity 5 Self-Approval over Unreal.

11. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Using Unity (free version) and no plans to switch :)

12. arkon

arkon

I didn't post my plans.

Using Unity 3.5.7 for projects live on Apple and Android. Can't upgrade the Android ones to 4.x as last time I tried I had to rewind the release as it broke on lots of peoples Samsung phones.

Using Unity 4.x for the last couple of games and the one I'm currently wrapping up ready to submit to stores.

Subscribed now to Unreal 4 with a work in progress game, if it works out well and I manage to submit it to the stores then I will be switching and not upgrading to Unity 5.

13. Stardog

Stardog

Unity, no plans to switch, no plans to upgrade. I'll be using UE4 on the side for fun because I like tinkering in every engine, but not for any large project.

14. giyomu

giyomu

Unity with no plan to change, also preoredered unity 5, now i am mostly if not only on mobile game so until now unity work for my need.

but this do not mean i wont touch unreal , even for curiosity and it's never bad to work with other tools.
    Get some experience with other engine cannot be bad things :)

15. arkon

arkon

To the 15 people that aren't going to switch, may I ask have you at least tried unreal engine yet? I've been using it for a week now and loving it. So far I've not needed to write a single line of code. Done it all with blueprints, and I have to say the visual quality of my efforts is way better than what I've managed to achieve with unity in all the years I've been using it.

16. squared55

squared55

Using Unity, planning on trying out bother UE4 and Unity5 before making decision.

17. ZJP

ZJP

98% Unity 2% Unreal Engine 4 before Unity 5. I hope it will not change after. :D

Hello my french/japanese friend. Come to say 'Hello' on the French site. ;)

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  18. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

This is a pointless thread. This is the UNITY FORUMS, don't you think this poll is going to be just a tad biased? Why would anyone even be on here if they only used Unreal Engine?

19. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Yes, I tested it and I am pretty sure that it won't finish my game with it.

I don't like their blueprints, even though I am using a custom node based editor in Unity for mission scripting and procedural content.

20. JovanD

JovanD

Well il just put this here...
    *walks away*

21. ippdev

ippdev

Don't like visual scripting. I like hand rolling my own code in a text editor like Unitron. Code hinting gets in my way so and I have no need for it. I know what I am doing. Can't use UE4 for the video walls, kiosks and similar I design, code and build. No GUI in UE4 is a killshot for me for it. May play with it down the road for some game stuff as currently it has nice screenshots that I have seen.. And it has Z-up..Are you kidding me?? Z is forward..Y is up.. That ticks me to no end and that alone is enough to kill any enthusiasm I may have towards it. Poll now looks like troll once I read this post. I will not participate but my opinion is lodged.

22. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

Staying with Unity... I looked at Unreal's feature list on their website (but haven't tried it).

-DirectX 11 Rendering Features: fantastic, but not super applicable to me as I'm making a voxel engine. And isn't that Windows only anyway?
    -Cascade Visual Effects: wonderful, but I don't care for my game.
    -New Material Pipeline: Interesting... physically based shading coming in Unity as well, though.
    -Blueprint: not interesting to me, I love my verbal programming. A lot.
    -Content Browser: Unity's asset system suits my needs just fine.
    -Persona Animation: haven't gotten into animation yet. But Unity 5's improved Mecanim should be out by the time I need it.
    -Matinee Cinematics: don't care.
    -Terrain Foliage: don't care, mine is procedurally generated.
    -Post-Process Effects: don't care enough to make me switch for that.
    -Full Source Code Access: really don't care, I like to let other people handle the source code. Less stress for me.
    -Professional Source Control: interesting, but not something to make me switch.
    -C++ Code View / Hot Reload / etc: Unity's fast compile times and updating the editor with changes suits my needs fine.
    -Simulate: Unity does this already?
    -Instant Preview: pretty easy to do this in Unity.
    -Possess Eject: seems like either Unity does this already or it does something that works for my needs in this area.
    -AI: Unity (kind of) does this, with many improvements to come I'm sure. But I use A* Pathfinding Plugin, works for me.
    -Audio: Unity 5
    -Middleware: Unity is fine here.

So I mean, lots of visual stuff that I don't really care about. A few 'interesting' things, but nothing worthy of making me switch. I also don't see things such as:

-Networking (uNET coming up)
    -GUI (uGUI coming up)
    -C# (I would hate to have to use C++ entirely).

etc.

And I have all my plugins for Unity that I'd have to give up.

Definitely staying with Unity. The future updates coming up look really promising for Unity as well.

23. Stardog

Stardog

Yes, I got the subscription on day one.

The engine looks nice, but it's tough on my system. Blueprint has the same issues as any other visual programming system. It's faster for me just to do things by hand. One line of code takes up too much space in BP. This is coming from an artist-turned-programmer, not a lifelong programmer. I can't even drag things around in the view while playing.

24. Kilonne

Kilonne

I use Unity free to prototype my project but I'm not sure about what will happen after because most people that might join to help me are pushing to others engines. The price/features are driving them.

IMO it would be nice to get 3 versions of Unity.

Pro - Like it is now, 75$/mo or 1500$ and no royalties.
    Indy - 15 to 20$/mo, all pro features, 5% royalties, to everyone making less than 15000 to 30000$/year. A model similar to Allegorithmic, with the possibility to upgrade at any time for Pro.
    Free - Like now with limitations.

25. Kondor0

Kondor0

I rather use my scarce free time making games instead of learning another thing... maybe one day.

Only Unity for now.

26. arkon

arkon

I don't think it's pointless, well not any more pointless than a general election poll. I just wanted to know how many other developers were doing the same as I was. I was also intrigued by people sticking with unity but having not actually even tried Unreal. (I should have had this as a poll option).

What I don't get is if you are a hobbyist with no real intention of releasing a game soon but just want to try creating a game, which is probably what most free users are, then why they wouldn't give Unreal a go as it is for sure IMO a way better Game Engine for attempting something AAA. The current situation is like having the money to buy a Ferrari but sticking with your Skoda, whilst refusing to even take the Ferrari for a test drive. On and to make matters worse the Ferrari is currently cheaper than the Skoda! And to justify not changing car because you have bought car seat covers and a new gear knob.

I just don't get it. It's like a religion with all the badness that tags along with it.

27. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

1) Not everyone loves ferrari more than skoda
    2) Unreal is not a ferrari for everyone, for some its the other way round

Just because you think unreal is better doesn't mean that everyone will have the same opinion.
    Do you really think hobbiists without any intentions to release a game are the ones who need unreals better AAA stuff?

28. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

Well, I looked at all the features of Unreal Engine and they didn't seem particularly appealing as I outlined in my post.

Does Unreal have some amazing thing that isn't listed on their feature list? I figured looking at the feature list would be about as good as actually trying it, for my purposes.

29. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

You are absolutely right. I am a hobbyist and I signed up for UE4 right away when it got announced. I really like it overall. I am admittedly still personally better with Unity, but I spend some time each week learning UE4. Your Ferrari vs Skoda comparison is a good analogy for Unity Free users. I was hoping Unity would offer a subscription plan to compete with UE4, but it may be too late for that. I love Unity, but I'll probably be comfortable enough with UE4 to stop using Unity long before Unity gets around to making a competitive subscription plan.

What is interesting to me is reading all of the positive comments regarding Unity 5. I am also excited to see Unity 5, but I understand that it will not ship for at least several months and then will likely need some bug fixes before it is usable. As slow as Unity 4.5 and 4.6 have gotten rolled out, I am not very optimistic about how soon I will get to use Unity 5. In the meantime, UE4 keeps getting better at a rapid rate. At the current rate of progress, UE4 will likely eclipse Unity 5 before Unity 5 even ships.

Maybe instead of comparing Unity 5 Pro to UE4, how about we compare Unity 5 Pro to UE5 (which is not even announced yet)?

30. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

UE4 has its audio engine on lock down, very little gets exposed. Interactive audio is the most important aspect of my project, so it's not even a choice. The editor is great though, very polished.

31. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

You cannot really compare reading a list of features to actually using something. Reading a written list is definitely not the same as actually trying it. Are you using Unity Free or Unity Pro right now? With hundreds of dollars worth of additional assets, Unity 4 Pro can get close to UE4. Unity Free is no match for UE4, though. And Unity 5 is not available yet, so you can't really compare that.

32. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I don't know anybody that would take a Skoda over a Ferrari, but I will take your word for it.

For making a PC game today, UE4 is definitely the Ferrari. For making a mobile game today, UE4 is probably the Skoda (since the builds are larger and the awesome visuals can hurt the performance on mobile). Epic claims they are going to improve UE4 on mobile in the coming months. For now, Unity still holds an advantage for most mobile developers.

In six months, everything could change. Unity 5 Pro should close the gap for PC games, and UE4's mobile improvements should close the gap for mobile. It is going to be interesting to see how everything plays out this year.

33. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

Not really seeing what's so great about Unreal Engine apart from graphics and Blueprint. And I've seen graphics from Unity games/demos that (while they may not be Unreal level, certainly are good). And of course, Unity 5 is going to have improvements in that realm.

So really, the only thing I'm seeing in Unreal Engine right now is Blueprint. What else makes it such a big deal? The feature list really doesn't seem so special...

34. giyomu

giyomu

Didn't not try Unreal yet, but looked at their various video, unfortunately their payment system does not work well with japanese credit card system haha, so this kind of stop me.

Anyway regardless that , I am not doing this as hobby and get project running now which does not justify a radical switch of engine, and as maybe other like me after long year working on a same engine you build for yourself you pipeline that work for you and other people around you too.

I don't really care about unreal pricing scheme like other seem ( but that's just me anyway ) , my investment since i use unity has been well covered.
    When I get free time I would mostly prefer play around tool like substance designer or 3d application ( when I am not programming ) than spend time learn unreal ..well for now :)

I am sure and because I am curious and like try new stuff I will get to it , but certainly not at first for serious dev and more just toying around.

Oh by the way , out of topic question , does unreal 4 behave on a macbook pro ( be it mac version or running under parallel ? ) if some of you have experience of this will be happy to hear :)

Lastly does this kind of discussion would last long on unreal forum...:mrgreen:

35. nipoco

nipoco

I had no issues.

36. Baggas

Baggas

excuse me , i'm new here i'm working in a 3d game on unity, i wanna do a boutton to make sound on/off,, can you help me please !!?

37. Baggas

Baggas

excuse me , i'm new here i'm working in a 3d game on unity, i wanna do a boutton to make sound on/off,, can you help me please !!?

38. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

I wouldn't take a ferrari just because it is cheaper. there are many more cars I like more than ferrari, Skoda could be one of them.
    And... Unity4 and UE4 are not that much apart than Ferrari and Skoda.

Edit: to the credit cards for unreal: I had to try 2 to get a payment working

39. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The poll also doesn't acknowledge the existence of other engines.

Well, I for one am not interested in chasing this fabled "AAA" as a hobbyist. And Unreal honestly brings no benefits to the type of games I typically enjoy making. Plus, while I haven't checked it out myself, I hear that it significantly boosts the hardware requirements.

None of that means I dislike the engine. It just doesn't appear to be the right tool for me for the stuff I'm doing.

Would you use Unreal for an Angry Birds style game? Or a Super Meat Boy? Or an infinite runner?

Would you use a Ferrari to tow your caravan, or are there maybe more appropriate options?

If Unreal is superior for your project then go for it.

40. giyomu

giyomu

Using what type of card , JCB doesnt seem to work

41. Daydreamer66

Daydreamer66

As a subscriber, you have full source access, so everything is exposed. How is anything "locked down?"

For a better answer than I can give, it might be easiest to peruse some of the comparisons posted in this very long thread.

Some of the obvious reasons it's a "big deal" would be:
    • Low barrier of entry for the entire engine, source included
    • Rapid feature additions and bug fixes (no waiting for months on end for major issues), with complete transparency from Epic's team and access to the very latest builds as needed - you can actually see the check-ins as they occur each day
    • Better performance on desktop/console with more professional results out of the box
    • A long list of feature rich tools integrated into the engine which don't require purchases from the asset store - again, it would probably be easier to read through one of the longer threads if you'd like specific comparisons
    • A completely open roadmap, with priorities subject to user input (with more detailed timelines than what's available from UT)
    • Much better large project and team support
    • Two games being actively developed in house, (Fortnite and the new Unreal Tournament) with additions and code improvements being integrated directly into UE4
    • A team motivated to add value each week (so that users will keep subscribing) through engine improvements, heavy forum interaction, tutorials and videos added nearly every weekday, and weekly twitch streams
    Well, to be honest, discussions like this don't come up on the Epic forums; Unity isn't really a concern there.

42. ippdev

ippdev

No trolling by other engine users I presume. This is getting pathetic here. If you wanna use Unreal go and use it and STFU over here unless it's Unity. I won't use it. It has no GUI system and rolling a GUI in C++..you gotta be frickin' kidding me right??? I do kiosks and video walls, apps, sims and games and it is entirely unsuited to my game projects which are not the never ending first person shooters. I have no interest in feeding that morose mindset any more than it is currently being fed .That and roll-your-own-GUI in C++ is a killshot right to Unreal's heart.. It ain't all that it seems to be. It is a specialized tool I don't need in my toolset..like a metal milling machine for an oil painter.

43. minionnz

minionnz

Staying with Unity. Tried UE4, really liked it - but I'm much more productive in Unity and I'm staying put until there's a good reason to switch. Mobile tools are far too new - I'll re-evaluate in a year or so.

And also the fact that my desktop can't handle the UE4 editor :)

44. Daydreamer66

Daydreamer66

The integrated WYSIWYG GUI (called UMG) is currently the Epic tool team's top priority (per the last few Twitch casts) and will be available sometime in the next few months. Like the UI system due here in 4.6, it is MUCH anticipated. There are other solutions available now (like Coherent), but like you, I prefer something more user friendly.

It sounds like you're thinking of the UE3 code base. This is not the case for UE4; the code and engine are very game generic.

If I weren't interested in Unity staying relevant in the years to come, then I wouldn't be here. Competition is good. I still have a 2D project here that I'm tinkering away on using Free along with a few paid assets. If you aren't interested in discussing other engines, you're probably in the wrong thread.

45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Agreed.

Lock reason:

I'd like people to think before posting. The Unity forums are courtesy not a right. There are already enough topics filled with the exact same discussions which are open. Please feel free to contribute something new to those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.