Search Unity

What Else Do I Need?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by compton103089, Sep 25, 2020.

1. compton103089

compton103089

I am extremely new to Unity and game development in general. The tutorials so far have taught me how to manipulate the program but I was wondering what else can I use. For example character development, and making my own unique prefabs. Should I get some sort of drawing software or character creation software to create new content? Are there any mods or extra programs recommended to make new content to bring over to unity?

I'm getting the hang of editing a prebuilt game but I feel like to start from scratch I will need other ways of creating original content to use on Unity.

2. jbnlwilliams1

jbnlwilliams1

I would download some free content to get started. There are plenty of free assets in the unity asset store, and sites like OpenGameArt.org. Don't get bogged down in content. Learn the system first.

Joe-Censored and JoeStrout like this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Blender is a popular and very powerful 3D modeling program, and is free. Lots of people use it for making 3D models for Unity. Unfortunately it is notorious for having the most convoluted UI of any modern software. But don't worry, the Blender fan club insists it is extremely efficient once you memorize about a hundred shortcut keys :D It is the Vim of 3D modeling software :p

You can consider taking a look at ProBuilder, which is a mini 3D model program integrated into Unity as an optional package. The usual Photoshop and Gimp are always handy for 2D stuff.

The External Tools forum I think is where this stuff usually gets discussed. Probably just watch that forum to see what programs get talked about for more ideas.
    https://forum.unity.com/forums/external-tools.22/