Search Unity

What does Unity Platform/DOTS platform package actually do?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Conspiracy, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Conspiracy

Conspiracy

the Unity Platform says that it supports build API used by other platform packages or provide base support for build targets in DOTS when it was called DOTS platforms. But what does it actually do specifically?

I'm asking this because I want to make an android game using dots but installing this package creates way too many errors that I don't want to deal with.

2. robertg_unity

robertg_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Conspiracy, about the errors... if you are using entities 0.5.x, be aware that the newest platforms package 0.2.x is not compatible with it. This will be fixed in entities 0.6.x release.

The platforms package is a new in-development package that will essentially provides all the constructs to be able to build and deploy specific platforms. For the moment, the "build" part isn't exactly usable since it is constantly evolving. That new code is tackling several challenges to address issues ranging from "I want a build configuration that share this and that setting across other build configurations" down to "making incremental builds that reduce the iteration time as much as possible".

Conspiracy likes this.
  3. filod

filod