Search Unity

Question What does this mean and how do I fix it?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Zummerz, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Zummerz

Zummerz

GUID [d3b47ff860a51904395688d633cb1018] for asset 'Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Editor/ShaderGraph/Templates/BuildSurfaceDescriptionInputs.template.hlsl.meta' conflicts with:
    'Packages/com.unity.shadergraph/Editor/Generation/Templates/BuildSurfaceDescriptionInputs.template.hlsl.meta'
    We can't assign a new GUID because the asset is in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.3.1\Editor\ShaderGraph\SubShaders\UniversalPBRSubShader.cs(9,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Data' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

So I'm new to Unity and I look at code and it makes me nauseous but I need to no how to fix this, I've got like 50 of these errors and no Idea how to fix it. All I think I know is it has something to do with the prefab assets from the asset store. I mean I can drop in the assets but it won't let me press the play button.

I've included the script

Attached Files:

2. Hyarch

Hyarch

Thats the problem with the asset store they screw up stuff every time they update unity.....

What is your goal what are you using this for>?

new to unity i would abandon this yes its making me dizzy too lol

3. Adrian

Adrian

The GUID error means that the same file exists both in the URP and Shader Graph packages. Since packages are read-only, Unity can't automatically fix the problem, you need to change the incompatible packages.

The cause is that the Shader Graph is included wit the URP package. You should only install the Shader Graph package if you don't have either the URP or HDRP packages installed.

I suspect Unity is mixing the two Shader Graph implementations and this causes the compile error, since the two versions are not identical.

Remove the Shader Graph package and the errors should go away.

4. Zummerz

Zummerz

Ok
    Ok so then is that done in the package manager or in the code? Like I said I'm really green with this.

5. Adrian

Adrian

apatitz likes this.
  6. DonKarlo

DonKarlo

So, what actual package should be removed from package manager? You can't remove just Shader Graph, how to do that? Can you explain please?

7. gaglabs

gaglabs

If you go to ProjectFolder/Packages/manifest.json you can remove which ever lines associated with the package youre trying to remove. That is, if removing them from Package Manager doesnt work.

apatitz and jorgeandresgamba1998 like this.
  8. DonKarlo

DonKarlo

Thanks! :)

9. gepurpose

gepurpose

You can also try to remove the Universal RP and reinstall it from Package Manager. It worked for me.

upload_2022-1-8_9-19-18.png

10. ych32

ych32

Had the same issue, updating the Universal RP package to the latest version worked for me.

Window -> Package Manager -> Packages: In project -> select Universal RP and click update to x.xx.xx

ib_magar, alexynemo and patrick211 like this.
  11. devraim

devraim

Thank you!
    Had the same problem, and solved it by:
    Window -> Package Manager -> Packages: In project -> Universal RP -> update to recommended version
    Also had to manually update Visual Effect Graph after that until it worked.

12. Blink42f

Blink42f

Im having the same problem as above ^

GUID [430a733c64a5c474787ac95203c2056b] for asset 'Packages/com.unity.shadergraph/Editor/Generation/Templates/BuildVertexDescriptionInputs.template.hlsl.meta' conflicts with:
    'Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Editor/ShaderGraph/Templates/BuildVertexDescriptionInputs.template.hlsl.meta'
    We can't assign a new GUID because the asset is in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

I uninstalled Shader Graph and URP yet the error is still showing up. They are both up to date also with URP being Version 10.5.1 and Shader Graph being 10.5.1 aswell.

13. Blink42f

Blink42f

Update ^ I'm now not getting the error but for some reason all of my materials on the 3d objects are glowing light blueish and I'm not to sure how to fix that. If I create a new 3d object it still has the same problem

Update ^ I fixed the blueish tint by changing the shader to 'Legacy Shaders/Bumped Specular'. But I have to change it to this. Is there a way I can make this default so I don't have to change it every time I create a new material.

14. KDSBest

KDSBest

For me my folder path was too long so I put the project in a shorter folder path e.g. C:\ProjectA\

15. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

Unity is so corrupted.
    The failures have put me out of business since Jan 2022.
    We are just F***ing idiots, right CEO?

16. RadRedPanda

RadRedPanda

Did you have an actual question, or are you just venting?

In case you were wondering, I think the interview in which the Unity CEO said that was taken wildly out of context, and is pretty blown out of proportion by some media outlets.

Anthiese likes this.
  17. spiney199

spiney199

Imagine necro posting just to randomly vent about nothing related to the thread.

chemicalcrux, Bunny83 and Anthiese like this.
  18. ib_magar

ib_magar

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@10.8.1\Editor\ShaderGraph\Targets\UniversalTarget.cs(191,37): error CS0117: 'Fields' does not contain a definition for 'AlphaClip'

The above line of error took my hours of time for nothing.
    I just imported some assets from asset store and it raised above error.
    I look out for solutions everywhere nothing worked.
    Finally a S***ty move of updating URP worked.
    And i still don't know what was the problem.
    But now it's gone.

19. daiandragosh

daiandragosh

I've read this thread and cannot understand how the solution is to manually change files and possibly ruin the project. Why can't Unity do this automatically? Other game engines do this automatically quite well, without requiring manual user input. Quite sad.
    Any update on this becoming automated at any point? Files being read-only Adrian means you just need admin permission, it's not really impossible. If I can change the files so can Unity or Unity Hub.
    So, the excuse that this can't be done I don't buy. I would like either an ETA on how/when this is done, or a clear this won't be done because it's really not important, not these cheap excuses.

20. Adrian

Adrian

The files are read-only because they're part of a package, not because of file permissions. This is by design, to make Unity package setups predictable and reproducible. Nothing should change package files (ofc except for in-development local packages) and Unity rightly resets any changes you make.

The issue is more fundamental: an incompatible combination of packages. This can only be fixed by changing the packages used by your project. Unity could do this automatically and I suspect there is an upgrade path where URP+Shadergraph are upgraded correctly. There just exists some way, be it users following some outdated tutorials and installing the Shadergraph package when they shouldn't, or be it a bug in Unity that fails to properly upgrade the project, that leads to this incompatible combination of packages.

It's good that Unity doesn't just mess with your packages. They do when upgrading your project and this has also gone wrong in different ways before. But they could add a warning that informs users of the root cause of the errors and directs them on how to fix it (which is not clear either, do you want to downgrade URP or remove the Shadergraph package? – probably the latter but that might not apply to everyone, an automatic change might be disruptive.)

chemicalcrux and Bunny83 like this.