Search Unity

What does the [#:#:#] mean at that start of Debug.Log() statements?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by forteller, Apr 7, 2020.

1. forteller

forteller

I'm cleaning up a big project that I'm not familiar with, and I keep getting:
    "[14:14:07] Assertion failed on expression"... errors.

It doesn't tell me on what script or where in the codebase this assertion is failing in so I can fix it. The project is huge so I'm hoping the [14:14:07] gives me the information I need to track down the error. I can't find any documentation on what these numbers mean and how to use them.

Thanks!

2. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

That's the timestamp, isn't it?

3. forteller

forteller

Oh you're right...
    Do you know if there's any other way of tracking down assertion errors without searching through your an entire code base?

4. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

If there's no stack trace, then it's probably coming from deep the unmanaged side of the engine.
    Assertion failures are very common with betas/alphas, but not so much in the actual releases.

Did you take a look at the editor.log file to see if there's any other clues there?

5. forteller

forteller

It reads:
    Code (Boo):
    1. (Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Graphics/Mesh/VertexData.cpp Line: 1284)
    2. Assertion failed on expression: '(srcInfo.GetChannelMask() & copyChannels) == copyChannels'
    I'm not good at parsing the editor.log but I figure it has to be some custom Shader issue, time to go searching --> man it's really annoying there's no stack track.

Anyways, thanks this has been helpful :)

SugoiDev likes this.