Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What does "preview package" really mean?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by ElnuDev, Aug 11, 2018.

1. ElnuDev

ElnuDev

I have seen the tag "preview" on both the Pixel-Perfect and SVG Importer packages. What does this mean?

2. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

It’s mean this packages in preview - one of development stage (like beta, alpha, stable etc.)

3. ElnuDev

ElnuDev

Does that mean that it cannot be put into a build? Pixel Perfect was not working when I built it into a standalone build. :oops:

4. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

It’s mean than package in preview version and all decisions for using it in productions is on your own risk, because it can have bugs and problems, or also you doing something wrong :)

5. elbows

elbows

6. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Are there any special cases for version numbers?
    I am using the prefab build and the package manager tells me that hdrp has an update (currently installed is 3.1.0-preview and I can see 3.3.0-preview on the server), but the highest Version to choose from is 3.1.0-preview, the installed version.

7. elbows

elbows

I think there was an accident with earlier 3.x.x versions of render pipelines, they are supposed to be for unity 2018.3 but the Unity version number wasnt changed so people ended up being able to install them on Unity 2018.2. That might not be the exact story, but it is something like that.

Even if I am not quite right about that, you can always look on github at the package.json file to see what version of Unity it is for. For example the following is a link to that file in the master branch of HDRP, and the Unity version is in that file as 2018.3:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...render-pipelines.high-definition/package.json

Carpe-Denius likes this.
  8. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Ah well, thank you. I've searched for unity version numbers on the server instead of using the package.json files.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I believe it refers to https://semver.org/

10. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

I meant "version 3.3 is hardcoded not available for unity 2018.2", which was cleared up by elbows.

11. yuanxing_cai

yuanxing_cai

Unity Technologies

It should work in a standalone build. Can you elaborate on what's not working?

12. ElnuDev

ElnuDev

I have rotating coins that don't 'pixelate' when they rotate.