Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you couldn't join the live stream, take a peek at what you missed.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

What does ordered interruption do?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Baste, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Baste

Baste

A transition in mechanim has a toggle named "Ordered Interruption".

The docs state that this "Determines whether the current transition can be interrupted by other transitions independently of their order."
    Mousing over the option shows a tooltip stating "Can only be interrupted by higher priority transitions".

Neither of these are helpful. I'm assuming that "order" and "priority" are the same things, but what are they? Does anybody know?

2. Baste

Baste

3. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Unity Technologies

this toggle allow you to define if this transition can be interrupted only by a transition with a higher priority or any transition.

To define transition priority you must select the source state or destination state and order the transition list, the first one has the highest priority and the last one the lowest priority. You can reorder transition by dragging them in the list
    order.png

Knarhoi likes this.
  4. Baste

Baste

Ah, that makes sense. I guess it's confusing because the list of transitions is usually not visible when I'm editing a transition, as I've got the transition, not the state selected.

This information should probably be added to the documentation.

Thanks.

... WAIT, does this mean that the ORDER IN THE TRANSITION LIST decides which transition is selected when two gets their condition fulfilled on the same frame?

That is a very useful feature! It's not at all obvious, though, and is AFAIK not written down anywhere in the documentation. The header for the Transition list should really be "Transition priority", not just "Transitions".

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Unity Technologies

Exactly we do test each transition in the same order than they appear in the list, the first one to fulfill all conditions is used.

I'm taking a note for this, we will update the doc

PZ4_Bailey likes this.
  6. Zomby138

Zomby138

How does this setting relate to interruptions from the "Any State"? I would like my transition to be uninterruptable from both the "Current" and "Next" states, but interruptible by transitions from the "Any State".

7. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Unity Technologies

sorry but this is not possible at the moment.

8. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

9. miroki123

miroki123

Sorry to jump this late, but is this still not possible?
    Any State is such a special transition I'm surprised there's not an option to account for that.
    Certain actions (like dying for instance) can take place at any given time, since we cannot predict where it will come from, makes sense to use Any State.

10. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Unity Technologies

unfortunately yes, we didn't change this.

11. PZ4_Bailey

PZ4_Bailey

Omw this is exactly what i was looking for, why doesnt Unity make this clear to us. Thanks bro!
    E="Mecanim-Dev, post: 2595980, member: 158244"]Exactly we do test each transition in the same order than they appear in the list, the first one to fulfill all conditions is used.

I'm taking a note for this, we will update the doc[/QUOTE]
    xactly