Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback What do you want Unity to focus more on in 2022.x cycle?

Discussion in '2022.1 Beta' started by Deleted User, Oct 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

We have two teams at least competing with each other in the ring; One team who wants to focus more on usability and bug fixing, and even claiming Unity hasn't been usable since 2020.x or so, and we have in the other corner a team who wants to focus more on certain features and more improvements being made on some aspects of the engine, and now, Fight! Ok, the last part was just a joke :D

So, what's your humble opinion of this? You can detail in the posts/or you can just vote and that's it.

2. HotYearKit

HotYearKit

3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I'd cast my vote for "just more of what they did on 2021", meaning that IMHO they had a nice balance between these things there.

Also with those voting options, I doubt you'll get many "features and improvements" votes as nobody really likes unstable engine..

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's for sure ..

just made it so it covers all possible answers :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2021
  5. JesOb

JesOb

.net 7

cxode, bdovaz and NotaNaN like this.
  6. PutridEx

PutridEx

Fast Realtime GI for HDRP, SVOGI comes to mind :)
    Save me from this baking insanity..

edit: Volumetric fog, TAA, SRR for URP. Realtime GI (no baking) wouldn't hurt too. But the GI is very doubtful, the first three though are realistic to expect. Especially TAA, and SRR.
    Plus, for both render pipelines, occlusion propes (that work with the terrain):)

And a terrain upgrade in general. especially detail mesh.
    I always use an asset like nature renderer or something else to handle all the rendering of my vegetation. It's almost always as fast, often even faster, with better visuals.
    And nice features like "render X(%) less grass in the distance", in nature renderer for example.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  7. NotaNaN

NotaNaN

I want to see progress being made in Unity's in-house Realtime GI for URP.
    I really can't stand enlighten, anymore.

Ruchir likes this.
  8. sameng

sameng

My biggest wish is Changing scripts -> Enter Play Mode to be fast again.

It's very fast to enter play mode when you don't edit any scripts, due to the amazing "Skip Domain Reload" option, but I sadly, I am a programmer, so I edit scripts all day. And every time you change a script, Unity MUST reload entire domain, for all assemblies in project.

In Unity 2020, 2021, I change a little variable and sometimes have to wait over 30s, sometimes over 60s, to enter play mode.

Maybe it's just me, but I unfortunately grow bored after 20s of progress bar and eventually mess around on the internet while waiting for Unity to be responsive again. Then I lose velocity and forget where I was in the code :(

I know there is a lot of progress being made for 2022. Someone told me domain reload could be a thing of the past. I could heard totally wrong, I don't know much about how it works, or any tech details, I'm quite clueless.

But I am so excited for any improvement whatsoever!

gasppol, bdovaz, Ruslank100 and 9 others like this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Could it be "Enter Play Mode Options"? If so, I think it will help you a lot..

Inside Unity go to:
    Edit > Project Settings... > Editor > scroll to the bottommost you should see "Enter Play Mode Settings", just check/tick "Enter Play Mode Options".. it will make entering play mode extremely faster, almost not even one second..

Note: I believe this option is only available in 2019.4+ versions, I'm not sure..

10. mgear

mgear

yes, make the editor faster than 2017.x (or at least as fast as 2018.x..)

11. sameng

sameng

I appreciate your sentiment. Yes, I am aware of this option. I am already using this. This is the "Skip Domain Reload" option I mentioned in my post.
    Unfortunately, as I said, Domain Reload must take place when you change a script.

From Unity Docs: I love this option, it does make EnterPlayMode super fast.

But it does nothing to help the programmer who edits scripts.

I am very hopeful though, that 2022 will make some changes for the better,
    and improve Edit Script -> EnterPlayMode for us programmers.

Deleted User likes this.
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User

For me personally I want to have a responsive package manager, it had been introduced in 2018 and still not responsive! Such a shame ..

Immu, Ruslank100, mgear and 1 other person like this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok got it now, sorry for misunderstanding, my bad.. Yes, that feature would be Amazing!

sameng likes this.
  14. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

1.A rework for terrain system will be nice.
    in decent project, no one uses its sculpt tools, no one uses its detail and tree rendering system, no one uses its terrain material rendering system.
    all native terrain system doing is holding data for other plugins to read.
    terrain system in unity is a joke like this over 10 years.

2.the new realtime GI...i don't expect too much for this one though...

3.the ability to blending lightmaps, lightprobes , skyboxes in all render pipeline.

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi, these forums are only for feedback on the builds Unity are releasing, so it's locked. Feel free to read the pinned rules.

Neonlyte likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.