Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you use: Notion or Trello?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by undevable, May 13, 2021.

?

Notion or Trello

1. Notion

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Trello

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Never heard of Either

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undevable

undevable

Hey. A couple of months ago, I was suggested to download Notion by a family member. Recently, I've been hearing about Trello, so what do you use, Notion or Trello? I prefer Notion since it is more complete. For example, Notion has kanban project management templates, and more, while Trello solely focuses on kanban project management.

2. xjjon

xjjon

Never heard of notion
    We use click up instead of trello though

3. undevable

undevable

Looks like a pure ripoff of Notion (ClickUp was founded in 2017, while Notion was founded in 2013). The design is really similar. Also, in click up, you use the slash to get the options menu, right? Same thing with Notion.

4. JoNax97

JoNax97

Using Notion here. It's really the first tool that has never gotten in the way of what I'm trying to do. It's true that it can be a bit jack of all trades, master of none. But I find it worth it.

The only thing I miss is actual layout tables.

5. Meltdown

Meltdown

Long time Trello user, but I found Trello to be a little too basic for my liking, and lacked the time keeping, costing/reporting/graphs visuals that I needed.
    Yes, Trello has integrations, but the decent ones were all quite expensive, and aimed at 5+ user teams.

I did loads of research, and tried lots of tools out, eventually the one I liked the most was Paymo, and have been using that for nearly 2 years now, and have been very happy.

It does everything I need, has tasks, time reporting, some visuals, costings, etc. If you're building your own game, I find it useful to track time spent, and how much the game is costing, I also use it to time track and invoice clients I work for.

6. MDADigital

MDADigital

Azure devops. Good integration with git so you can see which git commits are connected to a task. You can see which tasks will be released with a release etc.

7. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Notion, its great

Not sure why azure devops is being suggested , its nothing like notion or trello. Its a completely different thing.

undevable likes this.
  8. MDADigital

MDADigital

Trello is a basic issue tracking system. Which is a major part of devops (devops is not basic though its the best issue tracking system I have worked with over my years, and I have worked b with all enterprise scaled ones)

upload_2021-5-14_13-17-5.png

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  9. JoNax97

JoNax97

I think all the major repository providers nowadays (github, gitlab, azure) provide a similar taskboard.

The thing here is, are we focusing on the taskboards alone? Because Notion can also work as a wiki, todo-list, data sheets, etc.

If we only look at the taskboard, a specialized tool like trello is proabably better than any one that's integrated into a bigger service.

undevable and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Neither (and I've heard of both / used them in the past).

11. MDADigital

MDADigital

Have you used devops? It has wikis it has tasks (todos), it has teams integration. Hands down the best team tool I have ever used. Only downside is that Microsoft have a notion of its good with constant change so they change layout etc way too often

12. stain2319

stain2319

I have used Trello in my day job for defect tracking and found it to be pretty nice but now we're using the kanban board features that are in Rally and I find that to be.... Less nice. :(

13. undevable

undevable

Totally agree. Azure devops is more of a combo of version control and project management. Notion and Trello are productivity apps.

14. undevable

undevable

Yeah, that's great, but Notion is like an all-rounder when it comes to productivity. It has many templates, and you can also make your own pages. DevOps is more like a sole software management app. With Notion, it gives me many options. I can have a page that is for managing employees' work. Then, I can have a page of the roadmap of my project. And, I can have a page for notes for a meeting.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  15. undevable

undevable

Yeah. If someone just wants a productivity app, Notion will be perfect. If someone just wants a taskboard, then Trello would be even better. Since Trello solely focuses on taskboards, it's better than Notion on that.

16. undevable

undevable

Wow, that's really cool that Paymo can do that. I don't think Notion can do that, so I guess I have to stick with Excel for that. :D

17. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

It's got a built in task board system, which is one specific use many people go to Trello for. And that has Jira-style integration with their Git hosting (and presumably a bunch of their other stuff), so if you specifically want task planning for software development then it is indeed definitely one worth looking at.

They've also got an automation platform, a wiki system, and a bunch of other useful stuff in there.

tmcdonald and Acissathar like this.
  18. Inter-Illusion

Inter-Illusion

I have been using YouTrack and even though it doesn't have as many feature as Paymo and others, is very integrated with Rider and has a nice free tier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.