Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of this way of handling FPS maps?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Not_Sure, May 23, 2022.

1. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

So as you may know I’m working on an FPS Metroidvania, but I’m starting to reconsider an easier, and possibly more fun, way of doing things.

Originally the idea was that you are a prisoner working off your sentence by being sent to a planet to clean up a mess.

I was going to unlock various weapons and abilities that act as keys to advance to story.

But really I’m just interested in systems development and just want to make content like enemies, weapons, abilities, and maps.

So what if I scrapped the whole prisoner thing and just do a straight up bounty Hunter game and say to hell with the story?

What if every map was a bounty mission where you fight your way to the boss and get money for every kill, saving people, doing objectives, and killing the boss?

Then rather than worrying about connecting everything I can just make fun maps, enemies, weapons, and items.

Maps could unlock as you purchase necessary items, such as wall run, and just require them.

I could work on a game like that indefinitely and have a free version, but then do multiple expansions than open up new content and things to equip.

I can foresee challenge maps where you get pre-set gear for interesting scenarios.

Also, this opens up some options for the game that would be way out of my reach otherwise.

Things like user maps, co-op, invasions, versus maps, vehicles, and on and on and on.

User maps could be really interesting too as I could make it that every time a player dies in it, it adds to a “bounty pot” that can be claimed if it’s beat. Meanwhile the map maker gets a different currency to unlock more map making stuff.

2. pixaware_pwedrowski

pixaware_pwedrowski

Hitman vibes :) Bounty pot is a top idea!

3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Yeah, will definitely need some tweaking to incentivize map makers to make beatable maps like decrease the amount they get from every player that loses until it’s won.

And make sure that they aren’t just making a trick to beating it that they share with friends. So maybe decrease the pot if it’s the same map maker again and again.

Also, it goes without saying it needs a review system. I’m thinking you can like or dislike a map and every 50 maps played you get a “mega like or a mega dislike”. That way maps can get a score from 1 to 5 and there’s nobody doing all 1 and 5 reviews.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  4. kdgalla

kdgalla

I vaguely recall you presenting your prisoner story premise in a different thread. I never really liked it to begin with. It seemed kind of tacked-on and unnecessary.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.