Search Unity

What do you think of Paint 3D?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yoonitee, Jan 27, 2018.

1. yoonitee

yoonitee

Has anyone tried Paint 3D in Windows 10? What do you think the effect of this will have on games?

I think it might be useful for creating a few assets for games. Not 3D models but just images.

The other thing is that there are a lot of high quality free 3D models that you can download with it so this will up expectations of what kind of 3D models you have in your game.

I think all in all it will raise the bar of games.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

I think it's an interesting entry level tool, but getting decent quality out of it takes so much time and effort that you'd be better off learning GIMP and Blender, or even paying for a Photoshop subscription. I don't really see this raising any bars at all, aside from the most very low of them.

carking1996 and dogzerx2 like this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think it's more of a placeholder in people's minds at this point, plus a curio for anyone interested. In the future it could be you expect the os to be able to edit a VR avatar, for example.

4. Tom_Veg

Tom_Veg

I use substance painter. Far more superior and it's affordable to. 19$ a month or so is indie subscription.

dogzerx2 and hippocoder like this.
  5. DidierAubin

DidierAubin

I think it is still basic. I will use other software instead of Paint 3D :)

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Its cool that Microsoft added it, but it isn't a professional level tool. Its like how Microsoft added Wordpad to get some basic word processing capability built into the OS, but isn't intended nor ideal to use as your companies primary document editor.

landon912 and Ryiah like this.
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

You have it completely backwards. If someone was unable to create good content with the enormous selection of tools we have available today why would they suddenly be able to create quality content with a far more restrictive tool that holds their hand every step of the way?

There are games that have been made with tools made for beginners (eg Klik'n'Play) but they are either created by people who started at a time period when nothing else was available or they were created by people who were already talented enough and wanted to do it for giggles.

We had an example recently posted by @neoshaman where someone was creating art with Microsoft Excel. Using your logic someone might point towards him as an example of a new easy-to-use tool enabling him, but once you read up on the guy you suddenly understand that he was already a competent artist. The tool had nothing to do with it.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/using-unity-to-create-art.514614/#post-3371044
    http://www.spoon-tamago.com/2013/05/28/tatsuo-horiuchi-excel-spreadsheet-artist/

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  8. yoonitee

yoonitee

My argument goes like this.

Pre Paint 3D. "Wow look at those 3D graphics in the game, it's like nothing I've ever seen before."
    Post Paint 3D. "Pfft. I've seen better graphics in paint 3D".

Outcome: Developers have to work harder making better 3D graphics.

One feature of paint 3D is the ability to search and download hundreds of very high quality 3D models. Take a look. They're pretty good. Most of them better than anything on the asset store.

9. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Paint 3D is to professional 3D Animation tools what scratch is to professional programming languages.

10. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Paint3d looks kind of about as dumb as microsoft paint was. lol

JamesArndt likes this.
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Your argument has fatal flaws. For starters, the average developer fully understands that the average complainer (a) is in the vast minority, (b) doesn't truly understand the effort that goes into creating assets (Paint 3D won't change this), and (c) very few complainers stop purchasing the games (if anything it encourages other complainers to purchase them too).

For an excellent example of the last one just look at the nonsense called "asset flipping". People are purchasing low quality games purposefully for the sake of complaining. If I were a developer and people were purchasing my games why would I change anything about them?

Where are the models originating from? What tools were used to create them? Are they legitimate? Unfortunately I'm on an older release of Windows 10 and the last time I upgraded Microsoft had a flaw that almost rendered my computer unable to function. I won't upgrade for a toy application.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  12. yoonitee

yoonitee

Here's some of the 3D models on paint 3D:
    animals.jpg
    Pretty good right? All made by Microsoft. R U scared yet?

You could probably save that giraffe as an FBX and rig it an put it in your game. Here I imported it into Unity

screenshot.png

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Microsoft would know how to best use their own program and they definitely look good... but are they game ready? Just at a glance they look entirely too detailed and you're suggesting they're not rigged in the slightest.

Can you handle the rigging with Paint 3D? Can it decimate without destroying the mesh? If I'm forced to open another program to prepare it for my game (eg rigging, decimating) then I may as well have started from that other program.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  14. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

So it has a bunch of clip art models? You don't need paint3d for that. Ultimately, it just a toy. Much like many of MS tools.

15. Murgilod

Murgilod

Why would I be scared of textured, unrigged models?

Especially when I can make things that look dramatically better in Blender in an afternoon?

16. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Those models are fine for like, 2006, or a beginner level modeler, but is that what microsoft is showcasing?

Typically, when you see the showcase items for a software, like substance painter or something like that, its something most of us could never dream of creating. At least not without decades of experience in the craft and knowledge of the most current and powerful tools.

17. yoonitee

yoonitee

Well, if you can make models as good as these, in an afternoon, then I hope you're making lots of money out of them. I think they're pretty good. But I'm not a professional artist.

It's a good way to get lots of free models to mess around with in Unity though.

Come to think of it, since Microsoft and Unity are kind of teamed up with Visual Studio etc. It would be quite a nice idea if you could import Remix 3D models directly into Unity. I wonder if they thought of that.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    MisterSkitz likes this.
  18. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

If everyone is using the same generic clip art, that lowers the bar, not raises it. Free clip art models doesn't make better games, just more crappy games. Besides, this stuff isn't game ready. There are tons of existing models out there are equal or higher that are game ready. Like most MS products, its a interesting little toy, but will probably disappear or be abandoned in few years. (no clear market/usage)

SunnyChow and Ryiah like this.
  19. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

LOL! :p

No I'm not, but not because I'd fear some tool would make 3d modelling easier, it would be the opposite, I would seize that opportunity for myself, and make more and better 3D content. Sadly it's doesn't seem like it's the case.

20. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

oh, haha! I didn't even know about this.

hmm.. somehow I found it less useful than the Utah Teapot.

But, it's actually kinda cool, it's like a super super entry way of painting diffuse maps on existing models.
    This kinda stuff used to be a real pita back in the days of reskinning quake 2 models.

21. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

One cool thing about it is that I can preview 3d models in file explorer.

Joe-Censored, landon912 and Ryiah like this.
  22. landon912

landon912

The only thing remarkable about this image is the gross lack of AA.

I think Paint3D is a welcome addition. As a programmer, I use it to preview models before importing them into Unity. For the art side, I don’t see it having any professional use. It’s simply a product of technology becoming more accessible. It have hopes that it could act as a gateway to get more people interested in 3D art.

23. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I believe there currently is space in the market for a toy. Much like paint, movie maker and notepad. Not especially useful tools for professionals. But great if you need a quick and dirty no frills editor for someone who has no clue how things are supposed to work.

I can't see myself ever using it on a game. But I can see mocking up a few models as concepts to pass onto a real artist.

zombiegorilla and Ryiah like this.
  24. Chrisasan

Chrisasan

Did you check the license on those models? They might not allow commercial usage.

MisterSkitz and Ryiah like this.
  25. argathax

argathax

Hello, iam a new at this, would gladly appreciate as much feedback as possible regarding my questions which is

1. Is using Paint 3D enough for logo design of all levels? From animated logos to logos like pepsi or 7/11?

Reason why iam asking is because id like to do logo design professionally using paint 3d only?

Off topic question. Is using google site feature acceptable as a digital portfolio? Or do companies expect you to make your own website portfolio?

Really hope someone can help out a newby here please. Thanks for your time and help if you reply! :)

Apologies for the off topic question.

26. Murgilod

Murgilod

Nobody will hire you. Not only is it prohibitively difficult to do things like that in Paint 3D, meaning your work will have to cost more to compensate for the turnaround time, but it also won't look as good as people who are working in actual free software.

27. argathax

argathax

Damn, had a feeling it wouldnt be that easy, can you please recommend any free software that can do the job?
    a

28. Murgilod

Murgilod

If you need 3D elements, Blender is free, though the learning curve is steep. For illustration and texturing, GIMP exists, but I'd personally recommend putting the $60 or so to get Affinity Paint. For vector graphics, there's Inkscape, but as with GIMP, I would personally recommend buying something like Affinity Designer instead.

Ryiah and argathax like this.
  29. Vryken

Vryken

I forgot it even existed, to be honest.

30. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

If you want to be a professional, learn the professional tools.

For 3d that means autodesk products (you can use for free for 3 years with student license), and for 2d use Adobe products (student licensing is available, but PS is dirt cheap anyway.) You can make arguments for blender or whatever, but the bottom line is, the companies hiring don't use those products. Unless you have one specific company in mind that you absolutely have to work for and they use blender/gimp/whatever, you are limiting yourself.

The best 3d texturing app is Substance Painter. You don't need to buy a subscription, you can purchase the latest version or a legacy version for about $150 and it last forever -- you just don't get the latest updates. The subscription is only for perpetual updates, which you really don't need unless you are working as a professional at the cutting edge.

The fundamentals of art don't demand any specific tool, of course, but if an employer is considering to hire you, do you want them to have to factor in training time to get you up to speed with the standard software?

31. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

Stop looking at a toy and pretend it's a tool

32. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

Blender 3D. It's used on some small commercial projects. but the professional standard is always Maya/3ds max, just like adobe is professional standard.

33. bobisgod234

bobisgod234

Paint 3D does nicely paint "on" the surface of the model (it wraps with the geometry), whereas Blender seems to project flat from the camera when painting, making it hard to paint decals without skewing them at the edge.

It's obviously not an appropriate professional tool, but I do wish Blender's projection painting was as nice and intuitive.

34. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I'm not an artist but I'm pretty sure no professional artist uses blender for texturing they use Substance or Quixel

SunnyChow likes this.
  35. Antypodish

Antypodish

Is suppose major obstruction in Blender, is lack of intuitiveness in overall.
    Otherwise, maybe it would be more attractive to bigger industry.

36. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

If you are just getting into 3d modeling, I can't recommend Substance Painter and Marmoset Toolbag enough. They make baking and texturing exponentially easier and more enjoyable than anything else. Together these two programs will cost about $300. If you had to work an entire summer mowing lawns, pouring concrete, busing tables, or robbing old ladies to get this money, it would be worth it.

Besides those two, just use a student license of one of the autodesk apps and you've got everything you need -- no need to use anything less than the professional standard whhen it's so attainable.

37. Ryiah

Ryiah

Speaking of Quixel their indie suite is currently on sale for $79 (normal price is $139).

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  38. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

What is the policy on designing your own graphics in Paint 3D for commercial use? I highly doubt they have a "pro" version. So what happens if one designs graphics with paint and publishes commercially? The user owns full rights or is there a fee?

Just curious. I know the 3D models are copy-written but what about your own art?