Search Unity

What do you think about my game UI ?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by genaray, Aug 27, 2017.

1. genaray

genaray

Hey there !

Im currently developing a little mobile game, which is called "Illud".
    I never done UI stuff before, so i just took a look at some other apps.
    When the user plays enough he gets some sort of currency. Theres an store where he can buy new Color Themes.

Here the standard / starting theme :

Unbenannt1.PNG

As you can see its pretty clean and simple. Theres the game title floating around, 3 buttons at the ground and the play button in the middle.

Heres what the store looks like :

Unbenannt0.PNG

As you can see there 4 other unlocked themes in there.

The first one is the standard one. The second one looks like this :

Unbenannt4.PNG

The third one like this :

Unbenannt.PNG

and the last one like this :

Unbenannt10.PNG

What do you guys think about my UI Elements and the different color styles ? What can i do better ? Is there something you dont like ? Just tell me :)

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Looks pretty good to me. Nice and clean.

3. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

I like it! Could we see the images you named but didn't post?

4. FrostyPear

FrostyPear

Looks good generally, but there are a few things I think could be more clear.

Firstly, If I'm just looking at the main screen, I don't think I would realize that the two circles was a store and might not press it. That might not be a problem though if the currency is shown elsewhere.

Second. Based only on the pictures and not your text I would have no idea that the store is selling themes.

Last. You can't see the locked themes, so how do I know what I'm buying?

Other than that. I like it!

angrypenguin and theANMATOR2b like this.
  5. TonyLi

TonyLi

The starting theme looks great.

The color palettes are a little off on the unlockable themes, especially the last one. If you can make them look even nicer than the starting theme, they're do more to convince people to pay for upgrades. This is a good article on picking palettes for games: Picking a Color Palette For Your Game's Artwork. And this is a good theory article: Color Theory for Game Design. You might also enjoy playing around with Coolors if you haven't already. Maybe go all-out for themes, like a fiery theme with reds and yellows, or a patriotic (depending on your country) red-white-and-blue theme.

While your game's name is short and unique, I'd worry about the I's and l's. IIIlud IIlud lIlud (IIIlud IIlud lIlud) etc. all look very similar, so it might be hard for people to search for your game, or even to remember if it's Illud, lllud, or something else.

6. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

angrypenguin likes this.
  7. genaray

genaray

Thanks for all your replies :).

Ouh yeah, sure. I forgot some :D

UnbenanntNull.PNG

Unbenannt1.PNG

This is what it looks ingame. When the play button is pressed, the UI fades away and the game starts ^^.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  8. genaray

genaray

Thanks mate ! That are some great ideas, i think the game needs some more work :)

9. genaray

genaray

Awesome ! Im gonna take a look at it. And yeah i already know Coolors, its a great website :D. Altough the idea with the "patriotic" themes is great, im definitely gonna implement that ^^.

Ouhhh yes, right... totally forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me ^^

10. TonyLi

TonyLi

You could even offer different national flag themes on the store.

11. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

What is the purpose of the "Watch a video" button in the second screen? Or rather, does it make sense for that to be there--is that a screen where players will be spending currency?

Otherwise it just seems out of place.

As an aside, however, I love the idea. I've only played one mobile game, Sonic Dash or something (it's on the windows Store), but I really like the idea of watching a video to provide in-game benefit. It doesn't force your player to shell out cash, but it DOES get you money too.

12. genaray

genaray

The second screen appears when the player "died". Its an deathscreen ^^. But yes maybe its not the best position , because you can just go to the shop to watch videos and get free coins instead. Perhaps i can change it to an "special" video reward, that only appears randomly and rewards the player with much more coins :). That could force the user to play more and it would make the game much more addictive ^^.

13. Hyblademin

Hyblademin

I like it, good job. Please make your purchase buttons in the store view more visually distinct from the theme buttons to break the buttons' functions into groups. Too many solid-colored rectangles at once, and my scattered attention doesn't feel like figuring out what they all do.

14. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

I don't know how well this "maps" to your gameplay, but in the Sonic mobile game I played you could purchase a "continue" if you lost. Additionally, in some cases you could watch a video to continue.

Something to consider.

15. genaray

genaray

They are looking to identical, thats right. I could possible change their color to an secondary one ( Got 6 different colors for my Themes. Background Color, Topbar Color, primary color ( orange in the standard theme ), secondary Color, quaternary Color, quinary Color.) and i bet one of them will fit for those buttons.

Great idea, i currently have no clue if that fits into my game... But im gonna test it :). "Illud" is an fast action game. Maybe similar with those simple causal games. And i saw many of them with such an revive system. So lets see if that fits :D

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  16. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

In your menu screen the four circles are far more attention grabbing than any of the buttons. Do the circles do anything?

N00MKRAD likes this.
  17. cryogee

cryogee

1. You can get rid of FOR in store screen
    2. Make choice for the player and highlight one of the coin packs or scale it slightly. Middle one can be the recommended pack.

N00MKRAD likes this.
  18. FrostyPear

FrostyPear

Also 0.99 + 0.99 = 1.98 gets you 200 in-game currency, while the middle option gives you 200 for 1.99. Looks a bit strange.