Search Unity

What do you think about my finished school project? Please, let's discuss.

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by polan31, Jun 15, 2018.

1. polan31

polan31

Hey everyone.

I created my first game in the Unity system, which I also published.

It is a school project.

I don't study programming, but I wanted to shine at the end of the school year and now I pay for saying too much :):)

Before I give my project to school, I need a few opinions.

WARNING :

I care that the opinions are real :)

On the forum I read that here you can discuss projects so I would like to ask someone for some advice.

My questions are:

1) If I design a game, should I create an extensive menu or a simple one?

2) If I create a game that uses a clock, should I create a preload scene with loading bar?

3) If you will be the person who rates the project, you will choose:
    2d project or 3d design?

4) Do you prefer a simple game or a game that has extensive graphics and gameplay?

5) What do you think about the graphic design of my game?

This is my android project:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.PatPaq.BrickHunter

PS1: If it is not a problem, I'll be happy to discuss with people who want to point out my mistakes.

PS2: Please, don't treat the topic as an advertisement, because I need the opinion of people who just know "whats wrong" . In my surroundings it is unfortunately impossible. :confused:

PS3: I'll be grateful for even the simplest answer, that will allow me to improve my school project.

PS4: If I did bad writing - I'm sorry. It's hard to find a forum with people who can "discuss" :)

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Only create UI for needed options. A school project should only have basic options, like mvp level options. (minimum viable product)
    I don't see how one has anything to do with the other. If the concept relates to a clock, the clock should not run while levels are loading.
    Most mature gamers of an age beyond 24ish don't care what art style is used. I'm a 3D animator but I enjoy 2D pixel art games as much or more than 3D games. I don't discriminate on the art style. Only if the gameplay is good and is enjoyable.
    For a school project - suggest 2D if that is the fastest art you can create.
    Depends on the quality of the gameplay and the time commitment I want to spend on the game. I think most AAA games are about 10-20 hours too long. For instance The Last of Us - a GREAT game seemed about 4-6 hours too long. Horizon Zero Dawn is roughly 35-45 hours long (I don't care what the internet says). I've put in over 40 so far - and I could have been happy if it ended 10 hours ago.
    I think I like shorter games, ones that are shorter in length but give a great playthrough for the length of time it offers. If the game is cram packed with extensive mechanics and bloated with filler material - I tend to get tired of them. The length should make sense for the story or gameplay. I'm not really interested in playing 100 levels of maze type puzzles. 50 is enough to warrant a good time, if the gameplay is fun.
    For a student game - I'd want something low resolution - focused on gameplay without much fluff. Gameplay should be focused and minimal - shouldn't try to do 10 different mechanics when 4-5 are strong and work well.
    Not my type of game - but I think the graphics deliver the basic information needed. For a student game it is just fine.
    You could add some shading to the visuals, bricks to make them a little more appealing, but it's really not important and would add very little to the experience.
    You did fine. Keep coming back! ;)

Doug_B likes this.
  3. polan31

polan31

Thank you for the comprehensive answer :)
    It means a lot to me :)
    Especially the question of the length you moved :)

4. Doug_B

Doug_B

So theANMATOR2b has covered the points you requested (menus, graphics etc.) pretty well, I think.

Just to add, my Son has an Android device so we downloaded and played some games on that. Here are some random thoughts and personal opinions, in no particular order :
    1. A nice simple concept. It kept us amused for a while which is a good sign.
    2. The challenge level is quite high. We got to around level 8 and not sure we would have progressed much further. Maybe adding a small time bonus for a correct click (with a simple little fading animation "+TIME") would help create more of an allure.
    3. Different brick sizes/ colours is a nice touch. However, some of the bricks were very small and did not easily register a touch. Maybe have a slightly larger minimum size?
    4. On completing a level, the time disappears. On success, maybe showing a more accurate time remaining (to 2dp for example) could again increase the appeal factor? So players can compare their completion times to increase the competitive element.
    Agreed. :D

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. polan31

polan31

Hah, this answer is amazing :) thanks for reply :)

6. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

1) If I design a game, should I create an extensive menu or a simple one?
    KISS. Complex menus ruin user experience.

2) If I create a game that uses a clock, should I create a preload scene with loading bar?
    Why? What kind of clock? Like a speedrun clock? Just pause it during loading time.

3) If you will be the person who rates the project, you will choose: 2d project or 3d design?
    Don't care. I care that it's fun. Mostly it depends on the type of game. Platformers and puzzles I tend to like being 2D just because it's easier to see what you need, but that's not to say you can't make a good 3D either (Portal was awesome.)

4) Do you prefer a simple game or a game that has extensive graphics and gameplay?
    Graphics has nothing to do with complexity. Super Metroid is more complex than most modern games of the same genre. There is also a major difference between "complex" and "deep." Mario, for example is a remarkably simple game, but it's mechanics are deep. Mario can jump, hold and drop objects, and use a spring. That's very simple, nothing complex there at all. The fact that you can pick up a spring, jump, drop the spring, mid-air land on it, and jump again (called a spring jump) is an example of depth.

5) What do you think about the graphic design of my game?

This is my android project:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.PatPaq.BrickHunter
    Looks fun, I have a time waster like that on my phone, it keeps my memory sharp. My constructive criticism would be to learn the psychology of color. Your color scheme is associated (to me) with anger and I think that's probably the opposite of what you want.

theANMATOR2b likes this.