Search Unity

What do you look for in a Character Controller? (Physix - Universal Character Controller)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MelonHeadStudios, Oct 18, 2018.

1. MelonHeadStudios

MelonHeadStudios

Matt "Melonhead" Sellers here! I'm the creator of Physix, and I'd like your input on my asset!

Physix is a Universal character controller solution that takes a modular approach to movement and collision in unity, allowing you to seamlessly create robust controllers for any game or project. My goal with physix is to create a character controller that simplifies movement system development while simultaneously allowing developers to spread their wings and create something truly unique. Most (if not all) character controllers on the asset store only set out to simplify a VERY specific type of movement, like first person controllers or pre-built 2D platformers. These definitely save time, but they also cripple the creativity of the developer, keeping them constrained to what their controller can and can't do.

Physix is my solution to this problem, and even though I've been told countless times that it's the best character controller on the asset store, I still know that I can improve it further. Physix already has a one click moving platform solution, allowing it to perfectly move alongside any collider it's touching; and physix also boasts a very useful Snapping function that allows it to automatically snap to slopes based on surface angles and velocity. These are most certainly helpful when developing movement systems, but I'm sure there are more kinds of "ease of use" functions that could help speed up development.

So what is it that you specifically want out of your character controller? I honestly only made physix because I was fed up with the limitations attached to the built in unity character controller, so what makes you frustrated when having to deal with character controllers? I'd love to hear your thoughts on how I can help ease the burden of advanced movement system development!

Asset Store : https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/physix-universal-character-controller-111430

2. NoisyChain

NoisyChain

It looks awesome! If your controller supports root motion and steps/stairs, I'll buy it.

3. MelonHeadStudios

MelonHeadStudios

Actually! When it comes to root motion, I'm pretty certain that mecanim already supports root motion for rigidbodys. I'll do some research to figure out how well physix plays with this, as physix is based off of the rigidbody component.

As for steps and stairs, the built in physix snapping function (that snaps it to down curved surfaces) already allows for the ability to move up and down steps, but it is a little jittery as of right now. Turns out this jittery effect is due to a vurnerability in unity itself, that's going to be patched out in unity 2018.3.

Root motion is a fantastic idea for extra functionality in physix, so I will definetly see what I can do there; but if you do decide to purchase physix, then I suggest waiting untill the unity 3d 2018.3, when the steps/stairs functionality gets updated :)

4. NoisyChain

NoisyChain

I see. I will take a look in the future. Thanks for the reply. :)

5. giraffe1

giraffe1

Is this driven by a character controller or by ridigbody.velocity?

angelrubio likes this.
  6. luniac

luniac

brah u gotta provide a demo and a manual so we can look at the components and functionality in depth before purchase.

Also what are you thoughts on using this to make a Mirror's Edge style parkour game, some kind of edge detection addition would be required right?