Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback What do I add next in my game?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by SpyderManToo, Jun 6, 2021.

1. SpyderManToo

SpyderManToo

2. SpyderManToo

SpyderManToo

3. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'm sorry to say I don't understand your game at all. It seems that you want me to just try every exit, by trial and error, without having any information on which exit is real or fake. This feels pretty much like you're just asking the player to click on one of a number of boxes, and one of them is randomly "correct" while the rest cause the player to die. I don't understand how the core concept here really qualified as a game, versus being a random number generator.

In practice, it seems you generally put the real exit as far from the entrance as possible, so it seems there's no point in even trying the closest exits. But who knows? Maybe one of the levels the "trick" will be that it was the first exit?

I don't know what you should add to this. It seems like the core concept just doesn't work. One of the most essential components of a "game" is that you make meaningful choices. Players get to use their knowledge and experience to choose what to do in the game. If it feels like their choices don't matter, it isn't fun, and it just feels like you win or lose at random.

Maybe you can explain what I'm missing about the concept here. What kind of experience are you trying to achieve? Was there some way for me to have known that one of the "fake" exits weren't real? Or does it really just come down to a trial and error experience, where you want the player to just go to every exit until they find the real one?

Sorry if this feedback sounds harsh, but so far this game just feels like I'm doing some work. It doesn't feel like a game.

4. SpyderManToo

SpyderManToo

...some ends have clues tho...

5. dgoyette

dgoyette

For example? I remember the false exits saying random nonsense, like "Blueberries grow in the summer", "I'm feeling sad today", "On no, this isn't the exit...", or something like that. Are you saying that the false ends are the clues to the true end? If so, I'm still not sure that's useful; if I randomly guess the correct exit, I didn't need a clue. If I guess wrong, I probably need to go to the real one regardless of the clue anyway?

Edit: Okay, I see that the "nonsense" statements are telling you the color of the exit. That's still a problem, though. It seems you've created three kinds of exits:
    • The true exit. Fine.
    • False exits that give you a clue to the true exit. Fine.
    • False exits that simply kill you. Bad.
    In order to get a clue, or the proper exit, I still need to just blindly choose exits at random? If the first exit I choose kills me, is there any way I could have avoided that? I don't think that sounds like a "fun" gameplay mechanic. How do you actually expect people to play the game? Randomly choose, and if they die, randomly choose a different one? I'm legitimately asking, in case I've missed some other details that inform the gameplay.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  6. SpyderManToo

SpyderManToo

they do help u tho...for example, i'm feeling sad today. what color is commonly associated with sadness? oh, its blue. why don't you try the blue end.

7. Antypodish

Antypodish

So your game is heavy riddle, for only Engish native speakers?

8. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

need to define the game from player experience perspective.

Here's how i would describe it after being a player for a few minutes:

go through a maze and bump into things that sometimes help and sometimes make you restart. It's random and you have no agency so no point getting too invested.

don't mix up the player experience with how you will build it. Define player experience, then figure out how it will work. When making a game solo you are doing many jobs. The workers have to communicate but can't step on each others toes otherwise everything gets confused.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm willing to bet that if you placed this game in front of people and told them absolutely nothing the vast majority would be very quickly frustrated by it. If this thread is any indication what you think is helping people is just some vague text that only you know the real answer for.

Below is the search I performed while typing up this thread. Notice that the quintessential (this word means the most perfect example of something) color is not blue but grey. So right off the bat you've gotten the color for a feeling wrong. What else have you gotten wrong that you think is correct?

upload_2021-6-7_16-50-30.png

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    BrandyStarbrite and Antypodish like this.