Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official What do gamers think about global warming?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BenjiM_Unity, Aug 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andyz

andyz

Well not in the context of Unity, there is little to connect our views of climate change and Unity.
    Computers and high-energy software like Unity & games only contribute to climate change, let's face it! (And if they are ad-focused, virtual currency, highly long-term addictive games then well....)
    I doubt Unity 2021 is less energy-using than Unity 5 (editor or runtime), probably a lot more!
    So, unless Unity is considering modifying its software to reduce energy consumption, this is not a relevant topic

Ruslank100 and DimitriX89 like this.
  2. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

To be fair, I never claimed climate change isn’t occurring. I simply stated that I believe it is being utilized by people who very clearly don’t care about the environment and instead want to use it for power purposes and that the effects of it are likely being exaggerated as a result.

I did watch the whole video, and it’s the same information I already learned from various courses I’ve taken on the topic. It is hard to imagine how we could input the chemicals we do into the planet while killing its forests, and have no effect on the climate.

Still, I’m aware that the Earth is very complex and it’s hard to say how many factors the science hasn’t considered yet. For example, what other defenses might the Earth have against such a problem? Do we really have the full picture? There is a large cost to our lives when it comes to stopping climate change, after all.

3. ippdev

ippdev

Like a world renowned Cambridge astro-physicist said on the news recently pooh-pooh-ing the newscaster pushing the hoax and causing his jaw to plummet thru the news desk.. Climate volatility is from what the sun and moon are doing. Man just happens to be here.

The world is currently divided into two factions. Those who want to be left the heck alone and those who won't leave you the hell alone. it is up to you and your future which side you are playing on.

4. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Please. Educate yourself. Watch the video I linked a few posts ago.

Btw. if you did live on a different earth than mine, I'd very gladly leave you alone.

5. ippdev

ippdev

Please don't be so arrogant. I have been tracking the planets since the 1960's. I know the data. I have lived all over the world and at 65 what you youngsters think is some kind of disaster is the weather i have experienced my whole life. You seem to be claiming here that because I quoted a Professor of astro-physics n his 70's or 80 who has taught at Cambridge his adult life that I am somehow uneducated. If that is the tenure and tone of your argument then you can easily be dismissed.Your choice of euphemisms in your closing sentence just paints you as a disrespectful knee jerker who cannot win on the merits.

Dispute this. Carbon dioxide is plant food. It is what it eats and converts to sugars with sunlight. In turn it grows more leaves and fruits and goes to seed. The more carbon dioxide is available the lusher the foilage and the more bountiful the fruit and seed. It is what many animals eat and those animals get eaten by carnivores. All that carbon is sequestered in those bodies. The fossil and geological records show that in the past when the carbon dioxide level was much higher ppm the plants and animals were huge. Nature consume the extra always and makes biosphere.

Dispute this. The entire solar system is heating up. There is warming..so-called by scientisms faulty standards- happening on each of the planets and some of the geologically active moons. We are traveling thru a denser arm of the galaxy currently. This friction has changed the sun from yellow when I was a child to white at this late date.

Dispute this. At last count there was 40 volcanoes erupting in the pacific tim. They will produce more carbon dioxide, nitric oxides, sulfuric oxides, ash and smoke than mankind has produced in it's entire history on earth in a week. OMG..that is so toxic of a stew..all those nasty chemical names. Yet in a few years after they calm down they will be a haven for new life that will thrive on the minerals and trace elements in monoatomic form. The lushly beautiful and bountiful pacific rim is the product of dirty and nasty mean old chemicals with fancy scary names.

Dispute this. People have to heat their homes. Industry has to have energy to provide goods and services. Abundant energy has lifted a few billion people out of poverty in the last several decades. If you cut off reliable energy to people in cold climate they WILL cut down trees, burn refuse, and most of that heat will escape up chimneys as they are inefficient. Regardless..people are not going to freeze to death unless they are indigent or incapable of gathering the necessary combustibles. The conclusion to be drawn here is that desperate people will denude the landscapes and the northern cities will have constant fires, deaths from freezing and be covered in soot. Ergo the unicorn rainbow fix will actually cause environmental damage, higher levels of particulate pollution and sends sequestered carbon back into the atmosphere. In this scenario the plants eat twice. Once on the dead bodies and once on the carbon dioxide. If industry cannot run you and I will have no job. There will be no jobs so they won't need our ancillary services.

If you want to debate then do not toss a propaganda video up there and smugly declare victory. You have won nothing. Show me your knowledge of the subject and dispute me with your own thoughts. Not those someone installed in your head.

NotaNaN likes this.
  6. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah man and also you're a trained epidemiologist too.

7. ippdev

ippdev

Canadian Armed Forces Medical Services School, Camp Borden Nuiclear, Biological and Chemical Warfare School. Learned how to triage populations during epidemics. Youngest recruit to ever be posted to OJT at National Defense Medical Center, Ottawa. So..yeah. Amongst many other hats and titles.

8. ippdev

ippdev

Since you like to be so smug and considering your post was an underhanded side-swipe at my post I challenge you to dispute the points i made with your own thoughts. Of course by your standards you must prove with a diploma that you have taken a six year masters degree in the subject you are speaking to or you will be dismissed summarily with a wave of sarcasm. Sheesh. Kids these days:).

9. Billy4184

Billy4184

What a spectacularly irrelevant and divisive topic for Unity to introduce to their own forums.

As someone who studied environmental engineering (who never worked in the field), one of the few things I know is that weather is one of the most complex and difficult to understand things over the span of a few weeks, let alone years, decades, centuries, or millenia. There's a reason why you look up the weather sometimes for the next two weeks, it says 'partly cloudy with a chance of rain', then you check it again a few days later later and it says 'rainy'. It's because even those supercomputers crunching insane amounts of data that no human could ever hope to understand or analyze cannot clearly see what's right ahead.

In all the answers on the thread so far, I have only seen one or two that presented the vaguest hint of even kindergarten level knowledge about how climates work, let alone the years and years of research and study that would be required to have a professional opinion that has slightly less chance of being utterly wrong.

And yet here we are all ready to fight eachother, trying to slander eachother for having a different take on something literally no one understands.

Now I have to ask myself, what is the real problem here? Because as I said, no one here has the least clue about what is really going on with the planet. Opinions have always existed, that's nothing new. No, what really surprises me is the ease with which these topics infiltrate the most irrelevant platforms, presented as 'do you feel X' and 'do you feel Y' surveys without the least bit of scientific knowledge or rigor, which do nothing but distract and divide people while far more relevant and workable problems exist everywhere.

Unity will shut down threads on all kinds of contentious topics actually related to game development. Is this because they truly want the forums to be focused on enterprise and creativity, rather than arguing? One might have thought so, but now we have this thread, from Unity themselves, no less.

How about focusing on making a great engine, and let's focus on making the games we want to make. The opportunities to change the world exist everywhere, and can be taken at any time, and they are not here on the forum.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    JoNax97, JasonBricco and NotaNaN like this.
  10. neginfinity

neginfinity

(opinion, probably cynical)

It is pandering. "We're trying to appeal to your group and want to show that we're a part of your tribe! Same as you! We also care about <insert_topic_here>! Love us!"

Basically, when a company is trying to do this stuff, it is trying to pretend to be a friend and not a service provider. Meanwhile while people might start debating, this will probably increase search rank of the page where said debate is going to happen. The more insults and arguments, the more attention to the page.

I prefer dealing with service providers.

JoNax97, NotaNaN, stain2319 and 2 others like this.
  11. Teila

Teila

Excellent!!! Thank you. As a scientist and an educator, I am so happy to see a video like this.

12. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

13. BenjiM_Unity

BenjiM_Unity

Administrator

We thank everyone for sharing their thoughts and feedback on the discussion over these last few weeks. In an effort to keep things as respectful and civil as possible we'll now be closing this thread to review the answers provided. Thank you once again.

DragonCoder likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.