Search Unity

Official What do gamers think about global warming?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BenjiM_Unity, Aug 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenjiM_Unity

BenjiM_Unity

Unity Technologies

We've partnered up with Yale Program on Climate Change Communication to learn what gamers think about climate change. Check out our blog for some key takeaways from that survey, along with a few examples of how Unity creators are leading the sustainability charge: What do gamers think about global warming?

We would love to hear your thoughts on global warming. Here are a few questions to start the conversation and feel free to share your answers to any or all of the questions below:
    1. Is the issue of global warming important to you?
    2. Have you personally experienced the effects of global warming?
    3. Do you feel a personal sense of responsibility to help reduce global warming?
    4. Do you feel that the gaming industry has a responsibility to act on global warming?
    5. What would you like to see more of from the gaming industry in response to global warming?
    6. Have you seen or heard content related to global warming as part of gaming in the last 12 months, either in a game you have played or stream you have watched?
    7. Are you a creator? If so, have you created or plan to create any gaming content related to global warming?
    If you would like to learn more as we move forward you can sign up for our sustainability creators newsletter!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

1-4: Yes.
    5. Raise awareness. Make it part of the story or world mainly. Post-climatic rather than post-apocalyptic version of Fallout for example.
    6. No or it didn‘t stick. Games are notorious at avoiding topics that are not PC or not considered „fun“, with the sole exception of excessive violence.
    7. Yes. I keep thinking about a game not on global warming but an invasion of alien lifeforms based on polycarbonates, a twisted alternate reality story explaining why our planet became so polluted with microplastics: it‘s the remnants of those evil aliens we’ve blown to pieces thank goodness! Not without excessive violence of course. :D

BenjiM_Unity likes this.
  3. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yes, it turns out I live on a planet where it's happening so it's kinda a big deal.

You mean like the constant ongoing droughts and repeated hottest years on record? Yeah.

Hot take, but no. Going by my electric bill and general consumption habits, I'm already a low-impact contributor to environmental effects. More importantly, however, individual action is hardly going to solve structural problems like the ones that contribute to global warming.

Yes, and I think it's pretty important to consider the amount of impact that high performance hardware has on electricity consumption in general. I've long advocated moving desktop computers towards lower energy use RISC processors and components, as well as putting a greater focus on not increasing YoY power consumption in computer hardware. Aside from grid use still contributing to climate change due to the sheer amount of electricity generation that comes from sources like coal, there also needs to be greater consideration made towards how components are sourced and how frequently they need to be replaced.

For instance, a great deal of power loss comes from aging power grids worldwide, and shoring up that infrastructure is going to require a lot of the same materials.

Less graphics arms race pissing contests would be nice, all things considered.

Not really. Most of the global warming info I get comes from sources more directly related to it, such as research organizations and the like.

Yes, though I really don't think anything I work on is going to be about global warming unless it's specifically a background element. The idea of working on something that specifically targeted doesn't really interest me.

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

Yes in a sense, that whole gov destroys EU industry, but other countries like USA, China, Russia and other, pretty much don't care about emissiin. EU still imports products, rather making them self's.

You mean the climate change.
    Everyone living at least 20 years has experienced and notices it. Climate is changing none stop. It is not some new stuff, or post industrial exclusive to it effect.

Not rally. My home is heated by power station. I commute by foot, bike, or bus, as it is better than having a car. Alternatively I share a car.
    Prices get affected by CO2 taxes. Why should even feel more obligated into it.

If written software would be more efficient / performant then the problem would be addressed automatically.
    If Unity would promote, how and why writing more performant code has benefits, it would bring more global contribution, than few individuals trying fighting a Gholiat.

But I tell you what will happen instead, when start poking stick into ants nest.
    Game industry will introduce new tax to games, in a name of fighting arbitrary problem of te climate change. Problem still won't be solved. And someone will make tons of money.

This never been a mainstream subject for making games. I have see and played some games, which have climat change. But is not to address what is actually happens in global scale.

I was making game, which involves climat change. But not in the context of actual world climate change.

Most people are not aware, but as planet gains more CO2, it also gets greener. People are issue. Not the climate change.

5. neginfinity

neginfinity

I would prefer mankind not to make the planet incompatible with humans. I do live in a region that will benefit from the warming, but if the planet warms up to much, that'll be the end of humankind.

Yes, it is incredibly obvious that it is happening. The weasther is vastly different from what it was 25 year ago.

No.

No. Miners and industry would be far more responsible for it. People fighting against nuclear power would be responsible. Not gaming industry.

Nothing. It is not an issue of gaming industry.

No, and I have no interest. Although, climate change appears in Cyberpunk games frequently.

I would also have a strong negative impression of any streamer or gamedev trying to push awareness of that issue and would assume that they're being insincere and are trying to fish for more views/clicks by riding a popular issue while not actually caring about it.

Fighting global warming is simply not game developer's job, and when game developers try to play on political or popular issues, results are often disgusting.

I have no interest, as I am insignificant and have no power to do anything about it.

timmehhhhhhh, ippdev, IOU_RAY and 2 others like this.
  6. spiney199

spiney199

This is a loaded thread topic.

Yup, considering the ecology of my country (Australia) is falling apart due to regular government inaction.

Look up the recent bushfires in Australia. Or the recent floods. While I wasn't affected by these, people I know were.

In as far as telling climate change deniers to pull their heads in. Not much I can do on my own than spread factually correct information. The real change needs to happen on a governmental and industrial level.

I don't think the gaming industry is even a notable contributor to the climate problem aside from A: sourcing of materials in hardware, and B: the amount of power used by all this hardware. Both problems that lay outside the purview of the games industry, IMHO.

The games industry has more pertinent problems, such as the very large non-unionised workforce that is abused, overworked and underpaid.

Perhaps titles that use climate change as a central theme. Good way to spread awareness, perhaps, but ultimately wouldn't do much in the long run.

Don't really have an answer to the last two.

7. Baste

Baste

Holy moly Unity fired the Gigaya team and are spending money on this?

Fighting global warming is important, but this is just silly. Real impact would be stuff like pledging to not partner with fossil fuel extracting companies, or stopping working with big polluters like the US millitary, or planting some god dammed trees, essentially doing anything else than creating questionaires.

8. spiney199

spiney199

C'mon now, using interns to plant trees? What a waste of a natural resource!

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's fine, interns are renewable.

10. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

I disagree with that statement and similar notions expressed by others.

While impact can be minimal, we can, individually, voice concern, raise awareness, vote accordingly, demonstrate, purchase less or make informed purchasing decisions, deliberately avoid taking trips by plane and so forth. The more people do that, the better, so every individual making informed choices helps sway the system in a certain direction.

The more people do not just worry about climate change and the future of the planet but actually make decisions driven by these worries that reduce their own ecological footprint is what's going to save the planet. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY! No one else is going to do it FOR US. Minimal impact action beats 100% hands down every time any form of inaction.

DragonCoder likes this.
  11. Murgilod

Murgilod

Those are ways of addressing structural problems, but what the core of it is is that a person running their AC on a hot day is not going to change things like the US military releasing more emissions than entire countries, or how 100 companies are responsible for 71% of global emissions.

stain2319 and NotaNaN like this.
  12. neginfinity

neginfinity

It doesn't work this way. "we can unite" means "we can unity in theory". In practice, people will not stand together against this sort of problem.

The impact is not minimal, it is zero, because while you're contemplating which lightbulb saves the earth better, somewhere there's a huge industrial complex that produces more CO2 per second than you produce per entire year if not per your entire lifetime, which renders your effort meaningless.

So this sort of activism in the end amounts to deluding people into thinking that they're making a difference and are fighting the good fight while in reality they and their actions do not matter at all. Thinking that you're fighting the good fight feels good, sure, but it does not solve actual problem. And instead of those pointless actions you could be doing something that actually makes a difference. For example, you could attempt to run for office and pass a few laws that would make cryptocurrency mining a major felony, and invest into development of nuclear power. That would make much bigger impact than "activism" and "voicing concern". Because "voicing concern" does nothing, if you do not purchase something, someone else will, and if you do not board the plane, someone else will fly in your place.

Saniell likes this.
  13. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

It is only one earth we have and while I believe mankind will prevail thanks to technology, a lot of suffering can ensue that could be avoided.

Summers do certainly feel hotter nowdays and I've been hiking in places where there was permanent ice when I was a kid and there isn't anymore.
    That said, careful about speaking only about "global warming". Otherwise a bonehead senator walks into the congress and proudly shows off a snowball again.
    It's "climate change" as it goes in both directions depending on the region and heat alone is not the only consequence that can cause harm and suffering. Current situation in Pakistan is an example of that.

Of course because while industries surely are the actual main producers of CO2 and destructive chemicals, the vast majority (almost everything besides military) of production does not happen for its own sake. It is done for consumers, for us!
    If I do not consume something (or prefer cleaner products), it did not have to be produced in the first place and no harm had to be caused from it.

Yes. Like others have mentioned, less of a rush for games that require 300W GPU monsters (next gen is supposed to reach 450W >_> ) would be very welcome. It's gameplay that matters and there is a lot of middleground available between full on retro and said high end.

Hard question. "Raising awareness" is good, but sadly we do get tired of it and some people have shut off, so it's probably not gonna really help.
    It would be interesting to see large studios (not only indies) produce games in said "middle ground" performance field and maybe actually mention (not overly advertise) the side effect that it works on simpler hardware.
    Just for clarification: Having performance sliders does NOT suffice because humans have the (ultimately in such cases sadly harmful) urge to strive for "the best", plus they naturally wanna play with the graphics advertised in the gameplay trailers.

Some game streamers mention that genuinely casually, or purposefully but can't say I associate it much with games themselves. Cannot remember something specific in every case.

Coincidentally my current project is about global warming (here it is the right word because it is mainly temperature that harms the shallow parts of the oceans) and pollution having drastically reduced ecological diversity in coral reefs and the player has to bring life back.
    However I'm a pure hobbyist, so likely won't have a big impact and I do not plan to advertise the game mainly with this. In fact I had the gameplay idea first and then searched for logical and conceivable reasoning for why the character has an incentive to do this.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    BenjiM_Unity likes this.
  14. BankArsonist

BankArsonist

1. Yes
    2. Yes, We have had major floods, ice storms, and heat waves here
    3. Yes. Also its been the focus of my day job for most of my career
    4. We all have a responsibility
    5. Step up and acknowledge the problem. Start addressing carbon in the supply chain. Support release and spread of information on the causes and effects of climate change.
    6. I recently played a climate change serious game. Wish I couls remember the name of it!
    7. I am currently working on a climate change foresight futures game. It is a part of a larger project to challenge the normative conversation on climate change in Canada.

BenjiM_Unity and DragonCoder like this.
  15. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

I don't want Unity wasting money on a problem they are ill-equipped to solve or impact. If it’s a tax write-off or charity, where you don't expect any reward or direct effect then fine. But if it is to engender goodwill with the general public or shareholders then please do as little as humanly possible.

Based on the content of the press releases for Unity for Humanity I think it is probably a scheme to engender goodwill. Some of the press releases feel like they came straight out of HR. I guess my message is do better press releases for Unity for Humanity. Right now, they are not affecting me affectively.

Furthermore, asking leading questions in a survey is considered poor survey design. You need to ask questions like.

1: “Should game developers focus on affecting climate change even if it will impact other areas of their game. “

2: “Should Unity attempt to engender goodwill when posting Unity for Humanity content to its blog."

3: “Should Unity focus on highlighting the grant recipient as an individual and pull at your heart strings or should Unity focus on the effects of said grant."

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    koirat and neginfinity like this.
  16. cyanspark

cyanspark

Hello, I studied 3D design and coding using Unity, so I researched geometry for a recyclable lithium box which can be re-used 10-20 times to build off grid homes and equipment that run on renewable energy.

Here is the technology, the 3D animation is from U3D: https://www.reddit.com/r/functional...ew_easy_lithium_box_recyclable_every_size_50/

I'm going try a crowdfunding launch and later the product will be free to copy. There's another video here:

I have 20 year of hands on experience with electrical engineering and safety wise, crowdfunding should lead to very fast certification for a variety of basic lithium uses, and a lot of lab-work will help to extend the box for use in small vehicles, starting with simpler LFP chemistry and working towards off-road Li-ion use.

Please help this little indie project and share the video with your friends who are interested in renewable energy and technology!

1. Yes. Did Geoscience and atmospheric science at Uni.
    2. Yes, all the fish in the river died this summer from heatwaves, many 400 year old trees are dying here because the ground leaches water fast, so the region reacts fast to droughts.
    3. Yes, reducing CO2 would be nice.
    4. A little bit, not that much. Technology can help to forment low carbon projects.
    5. The gaming industry is like the TV art industry, Generally art and global warming don't appear to have cause and effect.
    6. rarely

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    BenjiM_Unity and Teila like this.
  17. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

1. Yes.

2. Yes, directly, socially, politically and economically.

3. Yes, but... Individuals can't change this to the degree required. Most of the world's people will follow the lead set by governments and the corporations who supply our goods and services, so they are what need to change. Personally I avoid doing stuff that would significantly increase my environmental impacts (in general, not just on hlobal warming) and take readonable steps to minimise them, but that's not because I think it's the solution. It's because I won't willfully make things even worse for what usually amounts to minor conveniences. The biggest impacts I'm aware of that we can make are to push our governments and the businesses we deal with in more positive directions, which requires collective action.

4. Pretty much what @Murgilod said.

5. Nothing in game content in any direct sense. I play games to relax, and shoving everyday issues into them damages that, and I'm not sure people are receptive to messaging delivered invasively anyway.

Pulling back on the hardware arms race would be great. That's more on hardware than software, of course. The rumored consumption of nVidia's next GPUs is ridiculous, and even their current ones chew more than my previous GPU. For what gain? Mostly a marketing leg up over rivals, I think.

6. Only indirectly, e.g. the lore of Cyberpunk's world. And as described, I don't necessarily see value of it going further than that. Though I'd be interested to see any research into the effectiveness of different forms of messaging on changing behaviour.

Also, you can show characters doing smart things without making it about climate change. E.g. choosing public transport over having a cool car.

7. Who here isn't?

BenjiM_Unity likes this.
  18. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

1. Yes, but not in the way average "activist" is. I am worried that the climate change discourse is dominated by disinformation and fear mongering. Which in term can lead to rash decisions from the government that will do more harm than good. In my opinion, climate scientists must be held accountable for their prognoses wildly missing the mark, not regarded as prophets of absolute truth. Their track record is quite bad. Good saying on this topic, "every ten years, environmentalists declare that life on Earth will end in a decade"
    2. I cannot make an informed statement. The climate in my part of the word varies all the time. We got 2 very cold winters in a row after a period there wasnt any snow for a while
    3. Again, I do not totally buy that global warming is antropogenic. Though I feel that in general sense, we as a species could be better off by reducing consumption overall, since there are many factors of human environmental impact, and all of them cannot be bullshit. Someone here said that impact of an individual is negligible compared to businesses. Well, corporations only gained power because of our individual greed. If there will be less demand for extra cars, new smartphones every year, or luxury goods in general, the supply will have to reduce as well
    4. No. I feel like it is quite hypocritical to do since games are luxury goods by themselves, an addiction. If you participate in gaming industry, you support unnesessary spending anyway. So either accept you are bound to generate some extra environmental pressure, or quit. Currently, I am not ready to get rid of this addiction, even if it makes me feel guilt at times
    5. Back to point 4. Plus I think gaming is escapism and we have enough propaganda already. Games about "socially relevant" topics do not have appeal for general audience, only for activists
    6. No. Global warming is a staple of apocalyptic fiction, but I cannot remember any notable titles I played recent year that discussed this topic
    7. Wannabe creator who havent finished any game project yet. And again, not interested in preaching about global warming

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

My only input is:

1. it's pretty obvious what the answers will be.
    2. are we not developers on the forum and not regular gamers?

FWIW we were being taught this when we were kids in 70s and 80s. Exactly the terminology of global warming as well. It was all ignored because ultimately, no-one had a solution for the growing energy needs that weren't also wrecking the planet.

And no-one still does yet, so we will continue wrecking the planet until alternative energy can keep up. That's the reality. Because say you save energy at Unity? or you save energy in your progressive country? You will offload that by paying another country to do these jobs.

It's another country in Asia that will likely be paid to produce these things and make the emissions regardless, and western nations pay them on one hand and blame them on the other.

Also the whole thread can't avoid touching on the politics here, because the problem is that people don't realise how much energy is needed to sustain the economy, businesses like Unity and so on.

This is why there's goals like 2030, 2050 etc, and this Unity initiative can be pulled apart in seconds. I do not know why this hill was chosen to signal from.

20. ippdev

ippdev

No. Unity should not worry about this and whomever is trying to get you to is in league with those wanting to put a world of hurt on humans. It is already evident what this type of BS is doing. Germans are cutting down trees for heating this winter. This will cause more "pollution". Folks will not willfully freeze to death. This is about build back better. I got a better idea. Don't break it when your solution does not have the capacity to replace what worked. Wind turbines use more energy to create than they produce in their lifetime and then their hulks get hauled off to a landfill. Solar fries birds and does not work properly in places like England or the US pacific northwest. Not enough sun. Plus the battery storage costs like 100 tons of dirt processed with harsh acids and bases to get i kilo of lithium. BTW.. It is amazing to me that so called climate change here on earth has the same effect of heating up other planets. It is the density of the vacuum we are traversing currently. The mauder minimum coming on says we are more likely headed to yet another little ice age.

Furthermore. CO2 is not a poison. It is the life of the planet. Plants eat it and breath out oxygen. We are not overcrowded. We have overcrowded a few areas. With energy in abundance folks no longer have to live at river delta's to thrive. I find it hypocritical that those wanting to shut down our cars and heating and air conditioning fly private jets to their air conditioned conferences. They will not live energy depleted.. I do not intend to be their serf begging for a gallon of sulfuric diesel every two days to stay from freezing to death. I am altruistic but me and mine come before some rich head honcho hotshot with his brains up his lower fundament seeking autonomous power over me from afar.

Nature is powerful and vast. We do not have the power to do more than make a very temporary dent locally. Nature will consume the extra and make more biosphere with it as is her divine mission. Human's are puny but very arrogant..especially when they have more eff you money than they can spend in twenty lifetimes. Then they get visions of grandeur and wanna rule the world by proxy. They have failed and will fail every time.

The big lesson being learned by the corporate virtual signalers currently is go woke-go broke. Unity needs to stay in it's lane and keep these virtual signalers from hijacking your company, dancing around in it's skin and claiming victory over your corporate corpse.

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Going to ask people to keep their feedback directed at Unity in this thread, not at each other, as I am not interested at handing out infractions. So Unless you are talking to Unity, replies may be deleted.

I've deleted a post already. If members want to chat, please use non-Unity specific threads / discord.

My PM is open for any off topic / or criticisms about moderating too, so we can stay on topic.

Teila, NotaNaN and angrypenguin like this.
  22. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Yes.

I believe so with the recent EU heatwaves and what was the hottest summer in the history of my lifetime. Even bought an AC, which was pretty uncommon in private housing until a couple summers ago. Now I can't live without it. And we used to have deep winters good for multiple month skiing, now it's just wet sludge most of the time. But climate also changes over long periods of time by itself, so it's hard to judge if it's climate change or just climate phase that has happened before I was born and now simply repeats history.

I don't believe global warming can be solved on an individual level, it's just a ploy of big corps to redirect attention from them to the consumers. However, I do believe in personal responsibility to vote for parties that support climate-friendly policies, which is what I'll be doing this fall. I also don't replace tech yearly, more like every 6 years when old stuff starts to break down, but that's not related to climate, I just don't see the need for that degree of consumerism.

Tech used for gaming on PCs at least have wide applications beyond video games. I'm not sure if only gaming can be singled out of all those use cases. It's more so on the hardware manufacturers to keep energy requirements down, which was the trend for a while, but we're now seeing the trend reverse with the next generation of GPUs and CPUs, perhaps because AMD caught up to Intel and they're going all out now. But that same hardware is also used for AI GPU farms, crypto farms, and other power intensive endeavours that don't really have direct relation to gaming. It's more so on the hardware manufacturers, which again fall into the territory of legislative action.

Everyone in the world is aware of climate change. I don't believe the gaming industry can have any meaningful impact on climate change unless the Ubisofts and Microsofts of the world put their billions to good use and lobby for green policies. But that would be a direct political involvement in gaming unrelated spheres.

Games are escapism and entertainment. People play games to get away from this stuff. We're already bombarded with global warming message in every other medium from news to movies, tv shows and books. And I'm sure there are games out there doing the same. Adding more to the pile won't achieve a single thing.

I'm a creator and I won't ever make anything related to global warming. There's no need to.

23. AdvanceXman24

AdvanceXman24

Global warming is horrible and should be stoped RIGHT NOW

Teila likes this.
  24. Teila

Teila

We are making a game that involves climate change. I do not want to say much as I know I would be unpopular to so. My team and I and feel that the story is important. Most of you know my kids work with us and they are very vocal so it seemed like a good way to educate and have fun doing it.

As a geologist who worked with in the environmental field, I remember all the warnings and all the people ignoring what was going on.

Are you a creator? If so, have you created or plan to create any gaming content related to global warming?

Yes, we are doing game content that relates to global warming. We have a ton of research and kinda scary to see my research actually falling behind what is happening in the world. So fast.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    DragonCoder and hippocoder like this.
  25. AdvanceXman24

AdvanceXman24

That is good you and your team are doing that!!! Cant wait to see the game!!

Teila likes this.
  26. Teila

Teila

Thank you. I am writing the lore, which begins now and based on research what scientist believe happen by 2050 or 2100, it keeps moving. I appreciate the kind words as not everyone feels comfortable with a game set in the real world.

I feel comfortable talking here, but not in gaming community. I get enough flack because we do not follow the trends.

I did not talk to Unity, Hippo!!! Sorry. Unity is asking these questions and we want to use Unity to make a difference, even if is the education of a few gamers that play our game. Something I have never done but I feel a lot passion for this. Please do not delete me!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    hippocoder likes this.
  27. Walley7

Walley7

1. No - not as it's presented. I believe there's much hysteria around it and not enough critical thinking. I also think it's a cheap source of public approval to 'make a stand' against it. I find the whole conversation around it to be a poor reflection on human nature, and our tendency to create complete messes in the name of the 'greater good'.
    2. One can only speculate on this.
    3. No. Again - not as it's presented. Obviously we should care about the Earth - it's our home. But I don't think we're going about it in a remotely intelligent way.
    4. No.
    5. I'd like to see nothing on it from the games industry. I believe attempts to rally gaming toward the problem are misguided, and come from people who haven't taken the time to properly understand the nature of climate change and how to effectively approach it. It's about as useful as hugging trees, in my honest opinion.
    6. I probably have, but I generally ignore preaching when it doesn't come from experts or the qualified.
    7. Yes, but I have no plans to incorporate such messages into my work. The only reason I could see to do so would be to cynically cash in on any attention it might generate, and I'm not willing to do that. And even if I did sincerely wish to promote such a cause, I would feel a great burden to thoroughly research the topic from all sides before even *daring* to advocate on its behalf, lest I risk making foolish suggestions which take us backwards rather than forwards.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  28. Teila

Teila

@unityTo Unity:The scientist in me does not allow me to post my true feelings. The storyteller in me just makes me sad. My hope lies in the hands of my gen z children who live with the fear of tomorrow but strive to change the narrative. I do not make games for escape, I make them to cause people to think.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  29. Moonjump

Moonjump

• Is the issue of global warming important to you?
    Yes, although I prefer the term climate change as too many think global warming won't be too much a problem, just milder winters. The warming is not even, and climate change is much more than just things being a bit warmer.
    • Have you personally experienced the effects of global warming?
    Yes, the UK has recently seen record high temperatures yet again, with the record set very near me.
    • Do you feel a personal sense of responsibility to help reduce global warming?
    Some, but the personal responsibility message was created by fossil fuel companies to deflect blame (carbon footprint was coined by an ad agency working for BP)
    • Do you feel that the gaming industry has a responsibility to act on global warming?
    Everyone has some responsibility, but the gaming industry is not a major contributer.
    • What would you like to see more of from the gaming industry in response to global warming?
    It could be a good source for meaningful messaging if presented as part of a story. Learn while you have fun.
    • Have you seen or heard content related to global warming as part of gaming in the last 12 months, either in a game you have played or stream you have watched?
    No, but I have not played as many new games as usual in the last year.
    • Are you a creator? If so, have you created or plan to create any gaming content related to global warming?
    I have some ideas, but my plans are very much up in the air at the moment.

Teila and DragonCoder like this.
  30. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Yes, but giant corporations should stop pushing the responsibility to individuals and start being responsible themselves. Demanding and badly optimized games burn electricity fast. Unity can tackle both of these problems directly.

As the industry leader, Unity can start by providing virtualized geometry technology like Nanite to every developer's hand. This will have the most effective contribution to the environment, as it affects both big and small projects alike.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    Ruslank100 and stain2319 like this.
  31. stain2319

stain2319

I agree with the above poster. It actually makes much more sense for me from a practical perspective that the way Unity can help address this problem is by making its product better so that the games we produce can be more efficient and require less power.

That is an *actual thing* that could be done rather than the vague "we are partnering with some organization to help educate people" BS that we always hear.

PanthenEye, Ruslank100 and Gekigengar like this.
  32. Teila

Teila

Exactly what we are doing. A good story, but you have to find the right audience.

Moonjump likes this.
  33. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Sorry but Nanite will not reduce power consumption. Whenever there is performance to spare, game devs find ways to fill that with more assets, more vfx etc. I mean nothing stops you from developing a game with the requirements of 10 years old hardware.
    The key would be to give an incentive to not push the hardware to the brim.

34. neginfinity

neginfinity

It won't reduce power consumption in any way. With a high def videogame you can expect that both GPU and CPU will be operating at 100% load.

If you want to develop environmental friendly games, there's ascii art and pixelart.

35. Murgilod

Murgilod

Nanite is a workflow efficiency improvement, not a power efficiency one. If it was the latter it wouldn't fallback to traditional geometry on low power platforms like mobile.

36. timmehhhhhhh

timmehhhhhhh

My only input is:

1. Being a good steward of the environment is an important and complex challenge.

2. Building best-in-class tools for creators is an important and complex challenge.

In a world of infinite resources where unintended consequences don't exist and good intentions always produce good outcomes, go for it I guess. In a world of emergent order and unknown unknowns, where Unity is aiming for austerity, and the surviving teams are strapped for resources, I wish you'd focus solely on #2.

Ryiah, NotaNaN and stain2319 like this.
  37. OCASM

OCASM

With China being the biggest polluter and raising emissions every year there's absolutely nothing Unity or any of its users/costumers can do to make a dent on the problem.

Also this:

JasonBricco and ippdev like this.
  38. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

Carlin is right about one thing: humans should think about saving themselves first. Though the rest of the speech is load of self-contradictions and magical thinking about nature. Well being of trees and bees affects humanity as well

DragonCoder likes this.
  39. REDACT3D_

REDACT3D_

interesting to see each faction become clearly defined.
    almost as if teams are being created.
    meanwhile ..

yep.jpg

40. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Carlin's funny, but there was a lot less known about climate change back in 92. The world wasn't literally burning then or going through massive draughts and catastrophic country destroying rainfalls. He wouldn't voice the same opinion in today's climate. But my recycling of PET bottles won't solve that either, nor will anything Unity attempt in this regard.

OCASM likes this.
  41. vertexx

vertexx

The fact that Unity has brought this subject up shows their priorities. Better for Unity to actually do something to stabilize it's own software! Forget politics for once and do the work you are paid for.

42. Teila

Teila

I wish I had not read this. It makes me less.

43. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

You shouldn't take opinions of largely anonymous nihilistic forum dwellers personally. Nor are these opinions representative of the larger Unity user base, only a tiny percentage engages here. People are also more likely to express negative opinions on any given topic.

stain2319 likes this.
  44. Teila

Teila

Not taking it personally, and these opinions are common far outside of forum dwellers.

45. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

For a long time I was someone who took climate change very seriously and believed every word they told me about the terrible danger we are in. And then eventually I started piecing together that humans in power are using the idea maliciously for the purpose of restructuring the world into a form that is optimized for their power.

Does this mean climate change isn’t a problem? Not necessarily, but it does make it very difficult to know what is and isn’t an actual problem. Clearly, if nothing else, a great deal of exaggeration is happening in order to accelerate the aforementioned restructuring.

The way I see it now is: there are problems we can see and/or measure. Pollution of the air and water, deforestation and habitat loss, plastics filling the oceans, and so on. We don’t debate about the occurrence of these issues, and so perhaps we should be focusing on them instead. Talking about climate change is much more difficult considering the complexity of the planet and its systems.

This unknown is used to put people into a state of fear - even going as far as to say we will all be dead in a decade. And in a state of fear, human ability to make rational decisions is reduced. They will support actions deemed more radical - whatever it takes to end this terrifying problem. Even if it means tearing the whole system down and rebuilding in a new form.

Personally, I don’t believe a single one of them in power who informs us of the danger actually cares about the environment. They use tremendous amounts of resources and pollute the planet far more than any of the common people do. And while they have a lot of interest in reducing the quality of the lives in their own countries, they have no desire to try to stop the most polluting country in the world - China, for example.

As to the questions from Unity:

1. I do think humans would be smart to take care of the planet. They do rely on it, after all. However, we must be careful of problems being against us for malicious purposes. That’s why I suggest focusing on the more direct problems we can see around us in our environments instead of an issue at global scale. If climate change were a real problem, it would be reduced naturally as a side effect.

2. Not really. Here in northern Wisconsin the summers and winters are more mild than ever. And I won’t use reports of weather as my evidence, for it could simply be that in order to accelerate the fear of climate change media is focusing more on reporting negative weather events than it otherwise would have.

3. It’s hard to feel like I should personally do something when those with much greater power to do something (and who claim the problem is so serious) do nothing or make it worse.

4. I would prefer the gaming industry focuses on creating fun experiences instead of getting itself involved in political agendas. With that said, pushing messaging for general care for the planet doesn’t seem like a bad idea.

5. Nothing.

6. I have not.

7. I create games. My games are not about climate change and won’t be. It wouldn’t really be applicable.

DimitriX89 likes this.
  46. Ryiah

Ryiah

Have you been asking gamers? Or have you just been asking game developers? Reading through the answers in this thread I'm of the opinion that many of them won't be helpful as we're not strictly gamers, and if that is what you've been doing elsewhere I feel like you're not gathering the information you claim to be.

angrypenguin likes this.
  47. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

The same way like "humans in power" invented the Corona crisis for a "great reset"? Did that reset finally happen?

stain2319 likes this.
  48. Antypodish

Antypodish

I will attach the survey report directly, in the case it will disappear.

Survey interviewed just over 2k participants in USA.

However, regarding main topic, 2/3 pages down the report there are some technical responses. I.e. which OS is used by participants. More interesting part for us developers.

However, I think this report may by quiet biased, since it is asking only USA gamers.
    It should be targeted to global gamers, rather than narrow community of one world region.
    People awareness outside USA may be completely different.

So this survey should be taken with great reservation, rather anything certain.

Attached Files:

DragonCoder likes this.
  49. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

I don’t believe that’s what this topic is about. However, it is strange that people talk about this idea as though it is a conspiracy theory when the people in power pushing for it have directly discussed it in their talks and anyone can go listen to those talks.

50. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

This forum needs a big "lol" emoticon...

EDIT: What a great coincidence that this video came out just now:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    Teila and stain2319 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.