Search Unity

What city generators are out there?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by kingrat, Apr 27, 2011.

1. kingrat

kingrat

Hello

I am looking for a city generator plugin for 3ds Max. I would prefrably like a free one. If you do not know a free one then post a paid one. It does not need to be for 3ds Max but I would like it to be. Can you please include in your posts a download link.

Thanks

2. Muzzn

Muzzn

If you don't need it in 3DS max, then CityEngine is the best. (standalone, exports .fbx, paid.) GhostTown is meant to be quite good for 3DS max. I'm also writing my own, directly integrated into Unity.

3. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

4. Colonel_Klink

Colonel_Klink

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  5. Eva Maria

Eva Maria

6. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Yes, the subscription Indie (free updates for a year) is $195, but you have to purchase the software separately ($495). There is a time-limited promotion that let you get the subscription for free if you purchase any of their product... it is a good offer, but it doesn't mean that we can get the City Engine for only $195.

http://www.procedural.com/purchase/commercial-solutions.html

7. Eva Maria

Eva Maria

ups, I didn´t know that, sorry....so it is 650 dollars for an Indie with subscription......

8. sjoerdN

sjoerdN

9. ivanzu

ivanzu

10. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

11. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

GhostTown is pretty darn nice, right, even though it`s still very early in it`s beta. I haven`t managed to create anything extremely cool with it yet, but will give it a go again soon. At the moment it`s not exporting the materials/textures from 3dsmax properly, but I think that`s mostly because of the textures that come with the plugin. If you use your own "power of two" textures, I think it should work, but can`t say for sure.. yet :)

Check out a little workflow video I made here:

12. Viet4Lyfe

Viet4Lyfe

13. zappapa

zappapa

It's the result of a standard city generated by CityEngine. A few clicks and you can create it yourself if you own the software. But beware! there are a lot of pitfalls here. Look at the (lack of) detail, doors going underground, windows getting chopped off on the upper part of buildings/houses etc. CityEngine is a great piece of software but it won't create a city (let alone a village) for you without (a lot of) effort. For this free city it might seem to work, but for close ups and for suburbian areas (no skyscrapers or other x-floor buildings) it still takes a lot of time and imagination to create something that looks 'good' with a low polycount.

14. kingrat

kingrat

@BrokenPoly sjoerdN I have been looking for the download for Ghost town but I can't find it :( I think Ghost town is just about what I am looking for, but I cant download it.

@Zappapa I know what you mean and I definately agree

15. Eva Maria

Eva Maria

@zappapa:I tried the demo from city engine and was blown away how easy and adjustable it is.

It isn´t much effort at all to create a really good city (without "doors going underground, windows getting chopped off on the upper part of buildings/houses etc") - just try the demo.

16. sjoerdN

sjoerdN

@kingrat, you have to register at their forums otherwise it won't show the download link (it won't work without being logged in either).

Go to http://www.kilad.net/GTForum/ Register, Log in to the forum and it should be there.

17. kingrat

kingrat

@sjoerdN Great I got it installed and everything but now the only problem is it crashes 3ds Max when I attempt to make a city

18. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

It crashed quite a bit for me as well in the beginning, but make sure your unit setup is correct + that the city area is big enough (+400x400 metres)

19. tatoforever

tatoforever

CityEngine,
    I had the chance to get the trial and its ultra awesome! You can generate almost an infinite numbers of buldings variations with just one building facade! Detailed and unique cities/buildings can be build really fast with automatic complex road networks.

20. kingrat

kingrat

@brokenpoly I am almost positive that the are was over that amount but not to much over because I used the guide available, I still can't work it out

21. drewradley

drewradley

22. kingrat

kingrat

@drewradley Look really good but I don't want to pay, if all else fails then I might consider buying it.

Ghosttown only doesn't crash if I put the city generation on sci-fi mode which is quite annoying since I want a city that a car can drive through, when sci-fi mode does not offer this :( but still sci-fi mode is pretty good and the guy(s) who made ghost town have done an excellent job :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  23. daveh1701

daveh1701

Anyone had success pulling entire cities out of Google Earth?

I'd love to find a good (free) model of Manhattan.

24. kieranbhoy

kieranbhoy

What is a city generator?

25. aninjamonk

aninjamonk

Urban Pad is also one of the solutions....
    http://www.gamr7.com/

Videos and demos look amazing.... also available is a demo version....... 30 days free version.....

26. Muzzn

Muzzn

How do you write one of these things? It's easy enough to write a grid-based one, but if you look at a city plan, it's nothing like a grid. So perhaps make a road, and procedurally generate road and building geometry off that? Like you might make a tree? How would you guys do it?

27. steego

steego

28. Muzzn

Muzzn

Thanks! I was considering using an L-system, but though it could all end up too symetrical (or looking like a tree!) I could throw in a bit of random angle, and perhaps a junction or two?

29. runner

runner

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  30. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

It creates nice renders from the distance, but are the generated cities detailed enough for a videogame?

31. Muzzn

Muzzn

You can always make things more detailed...

32. runner

runner

Imagine being inside a skyscraper and you have large windows, perhaps the lobby or even a penthouse.
    instead of using some skybox (pre-rendered) city streets, add extra depth to that city scene using this.

Like muzz5 said nothing is stopping you from increasing texture resolution

I tried it out, and as is it does a pretty okay job, if i don't like the results its not closed source(python)(blender).
    :cool:

33. eliteslayer

eliteslayer

Can you add textures to the buildings, streets and grass?

34. Tiki

Tiki

I don't know if you're still looking.... CityScaper lets you insert any model types Unity accepts, along with any material type, substances included, with density values, and it generates a city using your models.