Search Unity

What can I do to interest people to buy my Assets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by infinitypbr, Jul 20, 2015.

1. ZJP

ZJP

Oh very sorry to heard this.. :confused:

I'm really interested by the Giant Worm that i will integrate in my actual game project. Quality and price are fine. But, i focus these days on the scripting part of this project.

True!... :D

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

This might seem like a trivial thing, but consider adding the word "Pack" to the title of your chests pack (e.g., "Chests Pack"). It'll make it easier to recognize at a glance that it offers a pack of multiple chests, and "pack" is a trigger word that catches casual browsers' eyes.

3. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

That makes sense! It is 9 boxes (and we have two more planned that were a bit more complicated -- a "Demonic" on being one of them) after all.

I forgot to mention, I plan on adding a "Scripting" section to my website, with more examples of how to use the stuff. I figure I'll include them for free, since when I first started learning, that would have helped me a LOT. It'll be Unityscript, but the logic should translate no problem.

And a lot of it will be for stuff like using Animation Layers or Mecanim or combat logic etc.

4. tedthebug

tedthebug

You could try leading the buyer. Everyone likes packs because they let you build a consistent looking world so you could have a loss leading pack of very generic items that are popular but not enough to completely make a game, e.g. Barrels, chests, chairs. Make them slightly unique looking so it would require them to make a real effort to make other assets that match the look & then have links from the pack to other packs that complete the world look (people that bought this also bought........) e.g. Tables, buildings

For platformers you could have your coloured obstacles & then link to a pack of themed monsters that match the colour/design theme, packs of chests/collectables etc

ChrisSch likes this.
  5. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I've been somewhat trying that, I think. Not as directly. I've been making videos/images using other popular packages that I know many people have, to show how they look. I think adding scripting section will help too, in that regard, showing people ways to increase the utility of the models. maybe saving people like two-year-ago-me a lot of time :D

6. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I've submitted "PBR Monster Pack #1" to the Asset Store. It contains the Giant Worm & the Mushroom Monster. It's a discounted price, and like others who do lots of packages, this will eventually contain two new creatures, a "Plant Monster" and a "Rock Monster". Anyone who buys it now will get the other two for free when they're released, and the price will go up accordingly at that point as well.

If you have any requests for animations, characters, particles or anything else, please let me know!

I hope since these are already approved packages it'll be approved fast, and I'll put a link up here when it is. For the 3 people who already got the Mushroom, there is an upgrade option for the price difference.

monsterpack1_hd1.jpg

ChrisSch and TonyLi like this.
  7. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

8. tedthebug

tedthebug

Is it just me or does that worm make you think of Dune?

Good luck with the sale.

My suggestion for a pack would be elementals with their minions e.g. Giant water elemental with 2 or 3 minions. Sold as elemental packs of course

9. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I would *love* to do those. I think I need to get a bit better at transparency though -- they'd be awesome with transparent effects and particles. One thing I want to do is a Ghost package, which will help me learn all that.

10. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Wow I noticed updates getting accepted fast (I just thought they gave up on checking each update cause our pack is 620 models atm), but didn't know new submissions are too. Maybe a perk of being featured? :D

Also you said you keep all your assets on the latest version you're using. I don't know how good a thing that is. I'd only update if its necessary for the code to work or whatever. I keep 3 versions of Unity installed. Unity 4.5.5, Unity 5.0.1, and the latest one. The first two are for assets, and latest one is just for our game projects. For newer packs I always upload those two versions, so people mid-project, or people who don't wanna upgrade, can still buy and use the assets. Granted, it is a bit of a bother (I have very limited hdd space), but I sort of feel like our packs should have a U4 version too. Maybe after a year or so I'll stop submitting 4.5 versions.

11. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I had half my packs in the update queue for just description changes and they all got approved together, so probably just a lump thjng.

5.1 did fix a big issue with some of the models, so 5.0 won't work with half of them. 5.2 is supposed to include some giant speed improvements.

ChrisSch likes this.
  12. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I've put up the first of multiple tutorial videos & scripts. The scripts will eventually be included in the packages, when I'm able to update them again (And have more scripts), but can also be found on the site. Hopefully this will help some beginners use the models effectively.

http://www.infinitypbr.com/scripts/1_1.php

13. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Things like this tend to be compound. The more assets you make, the more expossure your other assets will get and the more sales you'll get.

Shooting from the cuff, you know what I would do if I were an artist?

Art assets for first person controllers such as arms, animataions, and weapons with moving parts to go along with those animations.

There is a complete void in that market and I think it would sell like hot cakes.

EDIT: Oh, and particularly fantasy stuff. You know ES6 is going to be announced next year and then there'll be a flood of people wanting to make another first person RPG.

14. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

I've considered that many times, but I'm not the best at weapon models. :D
    Yup, like dinosaurs are a thing right now thanks to Jurassic World, and that really awesome Ark Survival game. But you should make the fantasy stuff ahead of ES6, not have it ready when ES6 comes out and influences the market. Because I assume the serious developers that wanna take advantage of that, will be buying assets and timing their releases in accordance with ES6 to take advantage of that newly found hunger for games alike.

EDIT: Like Ark developers pretty much released their game after the movie, while the people were craving for more dino stuff. Meaning they already had their assets a good while ago. I've been craving for a good dino game since my childhood though, didn't even watch the movie yet. :p

15. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

We're working on human characters. It shouldn't be difficult to isolate the arms and build animations specifically for them. We also want to do a (very) large weapon pack (like 35+ swords, 35+ axes etc).

ChrisSch and Not_Sure like this.
  16. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Wooo that sounds great, it seems the thread helped. :D

17. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Agreed :D You guys gave me lots of good feedback and ideas I'm implementing.

18. tedthebug

tedthebug

Actually, a pack of animated body bits that you can mix & match & join up would be amazing. Customise your own scientific experiments (monsters with a large arm, small arm etc), scale each bit differently, let you have ghostly floating body bits that chase you, or just use arms/hands for that fps look.

Not_Sure likes this.
  19. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I'd have to double check, but I think in theory if we were to make separate meshes for all any humanoid characters -- as long as their arms were about the same length, it should work like that. But there's likely going to be too many differences in lengths and bone structure. This would have to be a package made specifically for the task I think.

20. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Weapons are always good. But I think I'd rather get 2 spears, 2 maces, 3 swords, 2 daggers, 3 axes, 3 bows, 2 cross bows, and so on rather than 35+ swords.

21. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

What about 35 of each? We'd like start off with like 5 of each and build up from there, doing them in between characters. Basically I went through to look for good ideas on google image search and found 35 unique ideas. Couple that with the "procedural" aspect, where each weapon can be any number of materials and colors and such, and you've got hundreds of unique weapons.

Teila likes this.
  22. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Sure! But the big sticking point is that people would much rather have a complete set of assets for a game than 35 of just one thing.

23. Ryiah

Ryiah

tedthebug likes this.
  24. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I can see that :)

That's why we'd start with just 5. It'd be a "Weapons Pack" that has all the weapons, and we'd just keep adding to it. But it'd include lots of types of weapons.

Teila likes this.
  25. Archania

Archania

That would be cool. There are a lot of sword packs some good some not so good. But not a lot of the other types of weapons. Again some are there but quality isnt. Especially including crossbows because all I have really seen are bows unless they are bundled into another package.
    plenty of different types of weapons bepending on the area you want to focus on.
    Will be interesting what you come up with.

infinitypbr likes this.
  26. Teila

Teila

I love your chests and barrels. A sword pack or any sort of medieval weapon pack that allowed you to change the color and pieces procedurally would be great. :) I would definitely buy it. Customization in some games is very important.

infinitypbr likes this.
  27. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Wow! :eek:
    I was just looking at pics of your monsters!
    Those mushroom monsters and Giant sand worm creature thingys are really cool! :D
    The sand worm definitely caught my attention. It'll definitely fit in well in Metroid Prime!

Time to call Samus Aran to hunt it down!

Zaaaaap!! :D

infinitypbr likes this.
  28. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Metroid :D That's a favorite. On NES and SNES especially.

Yeah, that's how i am with my games, I like to customize a lot and make sure things match the mood I'm going for.

Teila and BrandyStarbrite like this.
  29. Teila

Teila

With the weapons, make sure the poly's are reasonable. I used desktop so don't need mobile quality but I do not want a sword to have as many poly's as a house. :) I looked at another pack from Alloy since I have their shaders already, but they were way too high in poly's,even though they were beautiful.

My game is strong on crafting so the variety would give the players a lot of ways to craft an item. They will love it. I realize I will have to make all those items in all those different ways to use in the game as prefabs...but I am sure I can set one of my minions to do that for me. :)

Also, I look for more realistic items, like your chests and barrels. :)

30. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Actually, depending on what you're doing, one of our "run time" options may work for you. I try to include some light weight runtime materials to use which can be modified on the fly. Usually I'd think this could be used for adding snow or ice to an object or model, but fade it in. You could also use it to change colors or fade between materials, or turn a dirty object into a clean one etc.

Unity does a good job of cacheing the textures, so once it's set, it doesn't take any more resources in the game. In this way, your players could choose the color/materials to use. All of our non-run time materials can be used in game too, but they're super heavy, so probably won't be the best things to use at run time.

Realism is good, I think. We usually start w/ a high polycount for the models -- creatures anywhere from 20k to 50k. The dragon we're working on will start out much higher (he is huge, of course). And we've been using Simplygon to get quality LODs, which so far has worked really really well.

31. Teila

Teila

Sounds great! :) At the very least, the dirty/aging would be really nice in runtime.

32. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Oh yeah.
    I almost forgot.

On another note:
    Alot of those Skyrim fans etc. and Rpg enthusiasts and ( the next make a Skyrim type game, guys and gals):p
    Game creators/others, have been asking on other gaming forums etc. for near/almost photorealistic Dragons, of different varieties or species for a while now.
    No Joke!! :cool:
    Some with highly detailed textures and polycounts and others with more reasonably low polycounts.
    That look realistic enough, to be used in games.

Since alot of Unity and other game engine users/game creators, are very fascinated with Nordic/Viking type mmorpg/adventure quest games, with stinky evil ogres :p and other monsters etc.
    It would be cool to have a pack etc. with many different species/types of realistic/almost realistic High poly dragons.
    Nicely rigged and with tons of cool animations etc.
    And with a nice reasonable price.

Obviously many Unity users and other game engine users, might never complete, or make a great adventure Rpg etc.
    But there is always a chance one, or a few will pull it off.

It will be a hard task, to make all of these high poly, realistic 3d game dragons etc. for games or game trailers etc.
    Since only a few modellers on the net, can do this pretty well.
    And it might feel like a complete waste of time, to some people, to create something like this.
    Not to mention the amount of time, effort and hours, you'll have to put into a project like this.

But at the end of the day, sooner or later, probably in the next few years, when PC's and game consoles become more super uber powerful.
    There might be a high demand for photorealistic/near photorealistic dragons for games etc. in the not too distant future.
    So far there already is a growing demand for them.
    But most of the dragon models on the net look,................. Okayish. ;)
    And some look quite good.

And since you make monster packs etc.
    As time progresses, It might attract and get, alot of people, interested into checking out/buying your assets.
    Since very few modellers make great dragon models, or photorealistic Dragon model packs etc.
    And you might be one of few people, on the net, that actually have these type of monsters.
    And they'll have, no choice but to come to your asset store.

It's just an idea.
    And take your time.
    This project will require alot of time and dedication etc.
    Many blessings and good luck! :D

33. tedthebug

tedthebug

If you can change textures etc on the fly then a pack with one dragon & then different animations & effects for fire, ice etc would be a good starter. And for all those MMO guys that never finish the game, the art team who sold the pack don't really need to worry as they already got their $$.

34. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Hopefully the dragon we're working on will please everyone :D I know it's pleasing me!

I love making games. I'm happy that I'm able to release my first big one, but really, just making them is exciting. If I could just make games with no worry about making money, that'd be super ideal :D

35. tedthebug

tedthebug

Find a sugar cougar/daddy :)

36. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I've been thinking that for quite a while. I just need to meet someone with a trust fund. Problem solved.

Teila likes this.
  37. LouisHong

LouisHong

infinitypbr likes this.
  38. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Thanks, just did! I wanted to put up an ad too, but it looks like that subreddit doesn't allow ads? idk, it said there were no spaces available.