Search Unity

What budget game development and regular development laptop do I need?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elior_Y, May 10, 2020.

1. Elior_Y

Elior_Y

Hey!
    My name is Elior and I’m 13. I have been recently thinking about upgrading from my Intel i5 4th generation no GPU and 4gb of ram pc to a new laptop. But I can’t really think of what laptop I need and what should I get? My budget is around 800–1000$ and I’ve taken a couple of courses through out the years such as, unity(brackeys lol), Java, Encrypting with Java, and will join a cyber course next year! I would love a laptop that is with every dollar and will be with me for many years. I would love some help about choosing the right laptop for me.

Martin_H likes this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just a few things to be aware of. One, thanks to the current coronavirus hardware prices are currently up by about $100 to 200 than they would be normally. Two, AMD is in the process of releasing new laptop CPUs. Three, Intel is in the process of releasing new laptop CPUs. If you wait you might be able to more hardware for your money.

Below is my recommendation if you're willing to wait till June 25th when it launches. For $999 it has a fantastic eight-core processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD plus 1TB HDD, GTX 1650 GPU, and a 1080p 120Hz display. To be honest this is about as good as it gets when it comes to price for hardware.

https://www.newegg.com/fortress-gra...h-es75-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235423

My original plan was to list a few different laptops of varying prices but when I started searching I quickly discovered that the above laptop was the only one with a reasonable price for the hardware that it comes with. Everything else is way too expensive for what you receive. In some cases it was literally half of the above hardware for the same price.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    angrypenguin and Martin_H like this.
  3. Elior_Y

Elior_Y

Hey, and thanks for your answer.
    I have originally planned to wait till August or even Balck Friday to get a good deal so will the processors come out till then?

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. Both companies started releasing them this past week but only the top models have come out. The rest should be out long before we hit August.

5. Elior_Y

Elior_Y

Ok thank you so much for your help!!
    If you see more good laptop deals I would love to see them.

6. Elior_Y

Elior_Y

7. MDADigital

MDADigital

You can get the same laptop that Ryan posted with a RTX 2060 for around 200 USD more. I would go with that or wait for the 4900h laptops. I'm doing just that, have ordered a Asus G14. It will arrive around last of May if everything goes as planned.

edit: Its not the same btw, Ryhan posted a new one called A17, the one I talk about is called TUF 506 and is on the market already

8. Elior_Y

Elior_Y

Is there a cheaper one..? 1450 usd is really pricey for me... Is there something similar but lest money?

9. MDADigital

MDADigital

if you want alot of performance to dollar you should look to desktop, though the 2-series cards are insanly priced. I hope for better performance / price ratio on the 3-series. Waiting to buy the 3080 TI-

10. Elior_Y

Elior_Y

Fine I think for now ill stick with the 15.6” 16gb, gtx 1660ti, and Ryzen 7 4800H... if there’s something better and in the range of 1000$ it will be nice.

11. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I'm in the same boat...I avoided the original 20xxs like a plague...the SUPER ones seemed to work out a lot of the kinks(of the new RTX system in general)....but until the next full generation I won't feel like they are fully useful and less buggy. That's just me though, here with my perfectly working 1070.

12. MDADigital

MDADigital

I'm happy I got the 1080 TI, we have some colleagues that went with the 1080 a few months earlier and our CEO have a ban on the 20-series so we are stuck on what we bought on the 10-series :p